° Who Am I? °

Under the vibrant reddish-orange sunset, Charlie & Vaggie eagerly awaited our return outside the hotel. As our eyes met, Charlie's infectious joy radiated as always, prompting an enthusiastic wave from her. Reciprocating with a smile, I acknowledged her cheerfulness & waved back. Angel, ever the eye-roller, couldn't help but express his amused disbelief at Charlie's perpetually constant happiness. It was a contagious energy that never failed to uplift my spirit.

The shopping spree with Angel was unexpectedly delightful. Despite his initial gruff demeanor, he revealed a much sweeter side as he gradually opened up. Sharing insights about his dealings with Valentino, he elaborated on the intriguing concept of souls being traded in Hell. The idea of soul contracts instilled a deep sense of unease within me.

Those agreements were more than mere transactions; they were bartering currency of this realm. The essence of a being becoming nothing more than a commodity. If I knew one thing for sure, my soul was the most important thing I owned. Yet even then, it wasn't worth much.

Charlie offered to help with the bags from the shopping spree Angel took me on, but I declined, insisting I could handle them on my own. She still walked with me to my room, closing the door behind us when we entered. She insisted we needed to talk & that made my anxiety persistent, but I refused to show it outwardly.

"So, since there aren't a lot of details on your past life, we aren't sure how long it's going to take for you to.. um.."

She trailed off and paused for a moment." I hope that doesn't discourage you." She stood close to the door and her face held a very disappointed look. It was at that point I realized her happy exterior wasn't always happy underneath like I originally thought. There was so much more to her than I could understand in such a short time.

My silence was deafening, but I couldn't muster words. I wanted to be redeemed, but with no knowledge of my previous life, I had no idea where to start. She gave an understanding nod before leaving, closing the door behind her and leaving me alone with my thoughts. Redemption was a fabulous idea, but it was a bit overwhelming when I had no idea how far I needed to go.

I started putting away my new clothes, lost in thought about what I didn't know existed. Angel helped me shop, but his style showed a stark contrast from Vaggie's.

Three solid knocks pulled me from my slur of thoughts. Maybe Charlie remembered something or it was Angel coming to see if I had any cash left over. I opened it quickly, expecting to see a familiar face on the other side, but someone else greeted me instead.

He was tall, much taller than me. His height dwarfed my frame substantially. I craned my neck to look up to his face and met a pair of glowing red eyes. His hands were clasped behind his back while he held something that resembled a cane. What really caught my eye were the two deer-like antlers that sprouted from his head between what looked like some sort of.. ears?

"H̵͚̫̒̏e̷͓̍l̴̞̒̿l̷͉̻͆ó̷̺ͅ!" he spoke confidently, yet his voice was distorted with radio-like static. When he smiled he revealed two rows of yellow, razor sharp teeth. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end and I nearly slammed the door in his face. I was at a loss for words, semi paralyzed with fear. He glanced to the side and back at me awkwardly while I blubbered like a moron trying to spit out a greeting. 

"Pleasure to meet you," he continued, that smile unwavered, but his voice was a bit softer this time. He offered one of his hands to me in a polite handshake that I accepted, but not at all confidently. My hand basically flapped around like a dead fish while he shook it. The heat radiating off his body made me nearly topple over.

I was still tongue-tied and mentally kicking myself for acting like such an idiot. "Do I know you?" He grinned, leaning a little closer and looking more intensely at my face. I immediately felt uncomfortable and vulnerable. "N-no. I'm pretty sure we don't know each other, I just got here yesterday." I said quickly, so fast I almost stumbled over my words.

"My apologies, Darling. My name is Alastor.”

I didn't even realize he was still holding my hand from our awkward handshake until he gently lifted it to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on the knuckle of my middle finger, keeping eye contact with me the entire time.

I pulled my hand away and stared at him in disbelief. I wanted to scream for Charlie to come help, but those eyes were damn near hypnotic. I feel like I know him. I just.. could get lost in them an-

"Dammit Smiles, leave the poor girl alone." Alastor snatched his head toward the speaker with a sickening crack & Angel came around the corner. He nearly shoved Alastor out of the way to put space between us. "Charlie wanted me to come ask what you'd like for dinner. Didn't know you'd have a visitor." He glanced at Alastor, whose strange smile was still plastered on his face. It looked very forced.

Alastor didn't reply to Angel, but instead looked back at me, his eyes softening for a split second before returning to their spaced out, crazed state. "I'll be seeing you... ÿ̷̡́͘/̴̪͝n̶͔̮̅." That strange smile making his words seem sinister and more like a threat than a friendly saying. He turned and walked off, humming a tune.

"Don't worry about him too much," Angel said with a dismissive wave. It took a moment for it to sink in, but.. how did Alastor even know my name? Well.. maybe Charlie told him about me… That has to be how he knew. There really wasn't another explanation.