° Eden °

The last time I was here, I didn't expect to come back with Lucifer by my side. "You're quiet," The king looked over his shoulder at me with a smile. Anxiety made itself welcome in my stomach as I wondered what Alastor was going to do to me for doing this. The tranquility of the garden didn't ease the unease that bubbled below the surface. "I figured you should know," Lucifer cupped one of the blooming black roses on the hedges in his hand before plucking it with the stem intact. "Secrets find their way to my ears in this realm."

"I'm not sure what you mean."

"I think you do," Lucifer's smile still emitted warmth as he turned to face me, the rose in his outstretched hand as a small gesture. "Why are you here, (y/n)?" I took the rose, avoiding his gaze. "Your highness, I'm he-"

"Lucifer."

"Lucifer.." His name felt like honey dripping from my mouth. I gathered the courage to speak again. "I'm here for Charlie. To be redeemed." My eyes met his once more. The king chuckled softly. "Yet it seems as if you've been caught up with something completely different along the way."

"I don't understand.."

The king's smile slowly disappeared & for the first time in his presence, I felt fear. My fist clenched around the rose's stem, the sharp thorns digging into my palm. "You can't be redeemed, (y/n)." My anxiety fell through as my heart dropped to my stomach. "You don't have a soul to be redeemed."

"How did you-"

"Secrets do not always remain secret." The king spoke in a matter of fact tone. "Tell me, why are you here? We both know it isn't for redemption." I didn't have an immediate answer for him, yet he waited patiently for me to speak again. My thoughts flashed back to my first meetings with Alastor, the magnetic draw I had to him, my inability to form a coherent thought around him. "It was for my own protection," I admitted shamefully. "I couldn't defend myself here. I didn't want to die again."

The king's gaze softened, the subtle shift left me questioning the motives behind those crimson eyes - was it understanding or a hint of pity? He took off his white hat, placing it on the edge of the fountain before brushing his fingers through his blonde hair. He sighed, shaking his head slightly before meeting my gaze again. Pity. It had to be pity.

"You don't look like you're supposed to be here."

"This is where I ended up," I quickly replied. I didn't want to trauma dump on him, explaining that I didn't know why I ended up here to begin with. "I don't really know why I'm here," I admitted. I loved how things always fell out of my mouth when I was nervous.

The king quickly & gracefully closed the distance between us, his movements seeming to straddle an unspoken line between friendship & something more. He gently brushed a loose strand of hair from my face, his fingers grazing my cheek & sending a deep blush across my cheeks as I avoided his gaze. What was he doing?

"Y/n," the king's breath softly fanned across my face. His voice resonated like velvet, my eyes instinctively meeting his despite my instincts telling me not to. His gaze held mine for a moment & I realized I was holding my breath. "You can still fix this. Do it quickly before anyone else finds out."

I nodded quickly, taking a step back to create some distance between us. My heel got caught on one of the cobblestones, sending me falling backwards. The king quickly reached out, grabbing my hand before I could hit the ground, my other hand clenched around the rose. He pulled me back to my feet, but a little too forcefully, sending my body pressed directly against his. One of his hands in mine & the other wrapped supportively around my waist, my eyes grew wide in shock as butterflies frantically flapped in my stomach. "I'm so sorry," I exclaimed as I tried to step away from him yet again.

He smiled once more, a chuckle making his entire body shake as his grip around my waist tightened, gluing myself to him. "Your anxiety in my presence is apparent," his eyes sparked with mischief. "Such a nervous little thing. Are you afraid of me?" I wasn't as afraid of him as I was of Alastor who was absolutely going to kill me if he knew about this. My heart raced, obviously from fear but also from the growing awareness of an inexplicable attraction. "Yes," I confessed, feeling my breath get caught in my throat. The honesty tasted bitter and sweet... like a forbidden fruit.

Lucifer's amusement morphed into a subtle challenge. The tension between us intensified, a magnetic pull that was sending alarm bells ringing in my head yet I couldn't stop myself. Lucifer was undeniably beautiful, he was God's favorite creation after all. His crimson eyes held an allure that beckoned me closer.

He leaned in, his lips dangerously close to my ear. "Afraid, yet drawn, (y/n)," he whispered. My head swirled with desire, yet a twinge of unease tugged at my heart. Alastor haunted the periphery of my thoughts like the dark shadows he emanated.

Caught between the allure of the beautiful fallen angel and the macabre elegance of Alastor, I stood at the crossroads of conflicting desires. Lucifer's gaze was filled with an intoxicating mixture of mischief and desire & held me in place as if I was under a spell. The temptation he embodied pulled me like a moth to a flame, offering a glimpse into a world where rules were mere suggestions. Yet the memory of Alastor's unnerving presence loomed large, a haunting reminder of a darker & more unpredictable man. A man that owned my soul.

"I can't," I softly pushed the fallen angel away & he released me instantly. So very different from Alastor.. so different. A knowing smile played on his lips as he grabbed his hat, placing it back over his blonde locks. My objection to his advances obviously not ruining his mood. "We can continue this another time," the velvety richness of his voice filled the air like a whispered promise. My heart fluttered in my chest once more as I watched him walk back to the hotel.