° Soul Tie °

I hurried out of the club, practically running down the street to get back to the hotel. With every step I felt myself speeding up, finally to a comfortable jog. I glanced behind me, making sure no one was following.

Bang.

The dull thud of impact resonated through my skull as my head collided with the unforgiving pavement. A sharp hiss of pain escaped my lips as my vision flashed black. My hands instinctively flew to the back of my head where I made contact with the ground. Wincing, I cracked open an eye to find that a familiar face hovered above me, their features both an oasis of recognition and an array of unanswered questions.

•~•~•~•

"Why did you disappear for so long?" I finally managed to speak. The sound of our feet hitting the concrete sidewalk echoed off the dark buildings. It was odd for the streets of hell to be this empty, especially at night. But others usually tried to avoid Alastor at all costs. Maybe that was why it was so quiet.

"I had some business to attend to," He replied. His eyes darted to meet mine & I felt uneasy. I didn't want to push him for answers, but at the same time I could hardly believe he was even here right now. The person that consumed all of my thoughts these past few weeks, the one that I knew was dangerous but I kept finding myself being drawn to him like a magnet. He was like a drug, but not even the good kind. He was like the kind of drug that made people crazy.

I couldn't help but stare at him. His antlers poked up past his fluffy red & black hair, little ear-like tufts on top of his head. The chain of his monocle gently swinging as he walked, his hands behind his back holding his staff.  "What kind of business?" I pressed, looking forward again. I was desperate to talk about anything with him. I just wanted to hear his voice. That was truly the one thing that solidified that he was actually here. Part of me was afraid he'd disappear again.

A small chuckle came from his throat. "Nothing to concern yourself with. Just overlord business." I forgot he was an overlord & not just a demon. Vaggie told me the stories of how he came to become so powerful shortly after coming to hell. I honestly wasn't sure if I really believed it. Sure he was powerful, but most of the 'story' seemed like speculation  & no one really knew the real source of Alastor's power.

"What kind of overlord business?" I pushed. I folded my arms in front of me, subconsciously putting a barrier between myself & Alastor. I was afraid of him, but I really just wanted to hear his voice more. His smile visibly tightened & he stopped walking, turning to face me. "Why all these questions, little doe?"

Little doe.

I felt my face heat up as I stared at him. I felt my heart speed up. "I'm just curious," I said. I glanced at the ground & back up at him. "I.. I just.."

"You just what?" His head tilted to the side, encouraging me to go on. I just missed you.

"I was just wondering what overlord business was like," I lied. He didn't look satisfied with that answer. He stepped toward me & I felt my breath get caught in my throat. I took a step back, but he kept stepping closer. & closer. 

My back finally hit one of the buildings. "Overlord business," he started, standing so close I could feel his breath on my face. "Is just a bunch of talking. I've talked too much since I've been gone. I'd like to return to the hotel in peace."