Chapter 9

"Birth control Avery?!" Chaney asked with wide eyes as responded to her best friends news

"Birth control Avery?!" Chaney asked with wide eyes as responded to her best friends news. After returning home from vacation, Avery made the decision to get a quarterly contraceptive injection.

"I have no intentions of sleeping around, but after meeting Omar and everything that happened in Turks and Caicos, I figured it made sense." Avery shrugged, taking a sip of her wine. The way she saw it, it was definitely better for her to be safe than sorry.

Chaney stared at Avery for a moment, her mind trying to process the sudden revelation. She had always known her best friend to be cautious and responsible, but this decision seemed to catch her off guard. "I mean, I get it," Chaney finally said, trying to sound understanding. "It's just... unexpected, you know?"

Avery nodded, understanding Chaney's surprise. "I know it's not my usual style, but there was something different about Omar," she explained. "We connected on a deeper level than I thought."

Chaney leaned back in her chair, contemplating Avery's words. She couldn't deny that her friend deserved all the happiness in the world, but she couldn't help but question. "But Turks and Caicos was just a vacation," Chaney pointed out. "Are you sure this isn't just a whirlwind romance?"

"Then so be it," Avery sighed.

Even if she didn't see Omar past this weekend, it was her choice to make and her own memories to be made.

It was a late and rather chilly Thursday evening and although Omar had asked her to spend the weekend initially, he'd since asked if she was able to fly out to Vegas instead of the following evening.

With her bosses blessing, Avery was bringing some of her work with her to Vegas, regardless of how confident she was that she'd get any done.

He'd chartered a private plane for her and arranged for a car to pick her up from her place and bring her to the airport.

"Avery, I just don't want you to get hurt." Chaney said, her voice laced with sincerity as she reached across the island to hold her hand. "I'd hate to see you go into this with expectations, only for you to get hurt."

In all honesty aside from great sex, Avery didn't have any expectations of Omar. During their time together he treated her with nothing but respect, she'd never felt awkward or uncomfortable in his presence.

After a google session a few nights ago, Avery and her friends realized just how big a deal Omar was. Not only was he regarded as one of the current best, he also held a level of celebrity and status.

"I promise you I won't," Avery smiled as she squeezed Chaney's hand before letting it go again. "Now, enough of this sappy shit, my bag isn't packed yet and the car will be here soon to take me to the airport."

Getting up from her seat at the island, Avery led Chaney upstairs to her bedroom so she could help her decide on what she should pack for her weekend in Vegas.