Chapter 15

"So every time Omar calls you, you're just going to run behind him?" Brooke scoffed, making Avery frown

"Why are you saying that?" Avery questioned, her bottom lip jutting out as she gazed up at her friend perched on the bed while she knelt on the floor, packing her suitcase for London. "Omar asked me to join him in London and I said yes. I don't see why you think that means I'm chasing after him."

"Brooke, that's not fair," Chaney said, coming to Avery's defense. "Avery is allowed to make her own decisions and not be judged for them, especially by you."

"Chaney, it's fine," Avery said, halting her. "I'm a grown woman and I work hard. I'm not running behind anyone and I'm damn sure not looking for anything out of what Omar and I have going on."

Avery felt a pang of discomfort as she sensed the weight of judgment bearing down on her, a lump forming in her throat and a wave of embarrassment washing over her. She understood that Brooke's intentions were good, but her words made her question her own worth. She hastily brushed away a stray tear and rose to her feet, determined to shake off the self-doubt that threatened to consume her.

"I appreciate your concern, but I know what I'm doing." With that, Avery walked into her closet. She took a deep breath and focused on the task at hand, selecting her favorite outfits for the trip.

Walking out of the closet with two sweaters in her hands, putting them into the case, ignoring the piercing gazes of her friends as they watched her.

"Avery, you know I mean no harm. I just don't want you to get hurt again. I mean, look what happened at your mother's birthday party, look at the way Marcus disrespected you. I'd hate to see Omar turn around and do the same." Brooke said, her words still holding an underlying message of patronization.

Avery paused for a moment, closing her suitcase before she looked up at both her friends with tear-filled eyes. "Fuck it, I'm not going. You guys can leave," she said before walking into her bathroom, slamming the door shut behind her and locking it.

Avery no longer wanted to see Omar or anyone else.  She needed some time alone to process her emotions and figure out what she truly wanted. The conflicting opinions of her friends were clouding her judgment, and she needed to find clarity on her own terms.

As she sat on the edge of the bathtub, the sound of her friends' muffled voices through the door made her heart ache.

Waiting until she knew they were gone, Avery removed her clothes before starting the shower. She let the warm water wash away the tension in her muscles, the tears on her cheeks mingling with the droplets cascading down her face. Avery closed her eyes, allowing the soothing sound of the water to drown out the noise of her thoughts.

In that moment of solitude, Avery made a decision. She wasn't going to London. She needed time to focus on herself and figure out what she truly wanted, without the influence of others. Avery needed to be strong and independent, not constantly seeking validation or approval from those around her.