Chapter 12 (Part 1)

Avery had playfully thrown the invitation to her mother's birthday party at Omar, never expecting him to actually accept

However, as the clock ticked away, less than twenty-four hours remained until the celebratory night, and Avery found herself sitting anxiously in her living room, eagerly anticipating Omar's call to let her know his jet had landed in Atlanta.

"So Omar's is literally on his way here to spend the weekend with you and you're sitting here in pyjamas?" Chaney asked, her amusement clear on her face as she leaned against the doorway of the living room. Avery rolled her eyes playfully at her best friend's teasing.

"I've been making party favours for my mom's birthday party tomorrow since I got home from work, Cassidy was supposed to help me but she's somewhere with her boyfriend." Avery said rolling her eyes as she spoke about her baby sister.

At five years younger than her sister, Cassidy was a 21-year-old free spirit in her final year at of college at Georgia State.

"So he's coming to your moms party?" Chaney smirked as she raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

Avery nodded, her nerves becoming more apparent the more she thought about it. "Yes, I threw it out in conversation as a joke and he said he'd come, I didn't think he was being serious at first but now he's actually on his way. I can't believe it."

Chaney grinned mischievously. "Well, Avery, looks like your playful invitation turned into something very real. Have you figured out how you're going to introduce your parents to your fuck buddy?"

If she was being completely transparent, Avery struggled to find an appropriate way to convey the story of how she and Omar first connected during her vacation several weeks ago, without implying that they'd been fucking ever since.

"No, but I have to. I'll just tell introduce him as a friend and hope they don't ask questions." Avery shrugged.

Chaney raised an eyebrow, clearly not convinced by Avery's nonchalant response. "You know your parents, Avery. They're not ones to shy away from asking questions. Are you sure you want to risk it?"

Avery sighed, her anxiety bubbling up again. She knew Chaney was right. Her parents were observant and had a knack for picking up on subtle cues. Trying to pass off Omar as just a friend might not be as easy as she hoped.

"I don't know, Chaney," Avery admitted, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "But what choice do I have? I can't exactly uninvite him now."

Chaney softened her expression, understanding the predicament Avery found herself in. "And he's not your average man, someone might recognize him." She pointed out as thought about the fact that Omar was an incredibly well known boxer.

"I'm not even going to put too much thought to it now, I'll talk to him once he gets here." Avery said as she nervously fiddled with her phone, checking the time for what felt like the hundredth time. Her heart skipping a beat when she saw that Omar messaged to let her know he'd landed in the city.