Chapter: 23

Apex and Sebastian found themselves surrounded by soul pets, their unseen assailants lurking in the shadows like phantoms of the night.

"They knew we were coming," Apex remarked, his voice tinged with frustration as he scanned their surroundings for any sign of movement.

"We just want to talk!" he called out into the darkness, but his words echoed back to them unanswered, swallowed by the eerie silence that enveloped the scene.

Apex turned to Sebastian, a glimmer of determination in his eyes. "Can you handle the soul pets?" he asked, his tone laced with urgency.

Sebastian considered the question, his brow furrowing in thought. "Why not just steal the soul pets like you tried to do with William?" He said in a calm tone.

"We need the user for that," Apex explained.

"Then we have no choice, " said Sebastian. Sebastian extended his palm toward the looming building, his fingers poised to unleash a powerful spell. A crackling magic circle formed, swirling with energy as it merged into a ball of thunderous force.

But before Sebastian could release his attack, Apex interjected, his voice filled with concern. "What if there are people inside?" he questioned, his words laden with apprehension.

"The monsters could appear at any moment. We have to hurry and get back, " Sebastian countered, his resolve unwavering as he prepared to unleash his magic upon their unseen adversaries.

But Apex hesitated, his thoughts echoing Luna's directive to avoid unnecessary harm. "Luna told us not to hurt anyone," he reminded Sebastian, his voice tinged with uncertainty.

Sebastian paused, his gaze meeting Apex's with a calm resolve. "She said not to kill anyone. I won't take a life," he assured him.

"Attacking their soul pets won't harm the user," Sebastian reasoned, his voice steady with conviction. "But if you have another plan, I'm willing to hear it."

Apex hesitated, weighing their options before nodding in reluctant agreement. "Continue," he conceded, his voice tinged with resignation.

As the ball of thunder hurtled toward the building, a transparent barrier materialized, shielding the structure from their magical onslaught. The barrier redirected Sebastian's attack into the air. 

"Let me handle this. Keep the soul pets away from me," Apex instructed Sebastian with a determined glint in his eyes. With a swift motion, he cast a spell, channeling energy that surged through his veins, augmenting his strength for the task ahead.

Sebastian watched as Apex sprinted toward the formidable barrier, his senses heightened, ready to ward off any impending threats. As Sebastian observed the soul pets, he couldn't shake the feeling of unease creeping over him. Their repetitive actions seemed almost mechanical, devoid of any semblance of life or consciousness.

Meanwhile, Apex's fist collided with the barrier with a resounding impact. A sharp cry of pain escaped his lips as the barrier repelled his assault, its formidable defense leaving him reeling in agony.

Through the haze of pain, Apex heard Sebastian mutter something under his breath, a phrase that sent a chill down his spine. "Heavenly Judgment," Sebastian whispered, his voice tinged with a solemn gravity.

Apex turned to question Sebastian about his cryptic utterance, but before he could voice his inquiry, a deafening roar echoed through the sky. Crackling thunder reverberated through the clouds, heralding the arrival of Sebastian's powerful attack.