Chapter 28: Ember

Driving along the streets, people stopped and watched my vehicle. This still doesn't make sense to me. How can getting revived make one so popular? I don't think I can even walk on the streets without people coming to me for unimportant reasons. The ride went smoothly. The sound of the rain hitting the roof of the vehicle was music to my ears.

Number One parked in the underground garage. I knew I was late because I could see multiple vehicles already parked. The workers here must be punctual to come this early, or they are scared of Kenji.

I told Number One to wait in the car. I don't want a robot with an assault rifle following me in an office. Sebastian followed me into the elevator. Kenji brought me here once, but I clearly remembered the way to his office. Some of the workers greeted me as I passed while others just stared at me.

"Hey," Ava greeted upon seeing me come toward the elevator. I greeted her and introduced Sebastian to her. The rest of the ride was silent since we had nothing to talk about. "I apologize again for attacking you during your first time here," Ava said.

"I already told you it's okay. It's no big deal." I assured her. A mere wind attack can't harm me. As the elevator came to a stop, Ava informed me that Kenji was in his office, before leaving us. Upon reaching Kenji's office, I informed him about my request. He then called Ava and informed her to take Sebastian around the city.

"Now," He began as he summoned his soul pet, "After what you did to me the other time, I couldn't wait to battle you again." His soul pet created a spear from ice. The aura from the sword created a chilled feeling in the office. It's already cold due to the rain and his spear is making it worse.

"Here?" I asked. A puzzled look crossed his face before a smile overshadowed it. I don't think I've ever seen him smile before. He said to me that he thought I would try to refuse. I shrugged and told him that I rarely get to fight strong people so I couldn't refuse a challenge. Kenji brandished his spear as he called out to Robert, one of his father's friends.

His white spear was almost transparent. There was a white cloth at the head of the spear. Robert waved at me. I remembered what happened during Quinn's birthday. He teleported us to a battlefield. This was the same place where I battled them during the party. It seems he can only teleport people here. If this is the case, then there must be more to his power.

"Don't hold back," He said and began to sprint toward me. This guy won't even let me prepare. "Show me everything you've got," He swung his spear at me. As it came into contact with my shield, it bounced back.

'Isn't it supposed to absorb the weapon?' I thought. Kenji looked shocked because he could not see the shield which was only visible to me. Because of the faith I had in the shield, I stood there doing nothing as Kenji struck me. Each strike was strong enough to kill a person. Kenji halted his attacks and asked if I was looking down on him. Before I could answer, he retreated and got into an attacking stance. He held his spear backward with his knees slightly bent. Kenji focused his spiritual power on his spear. His spiritual power skyrocketed. As his eyes met mine, I knew he was planning something dangerous. However, I had faith in my shield. He dashed toward me with his spear in one hand.

"You shouldn't look down on your opponents," Kenji stated as he reached me. He was a few centimeters away from me. Kenji swung his spear. I was about to tell him that all his attacks were in vain but something unexpected happened. As the blade of his spear came into contact with my shield, an explosion occurred. The shield shattered in my face and I was sent crashing into a pillar.

"What is going on? The shield did not absorb his weapon and now, it has been shattered," I said as I got back up to my feet, dusting my dress. Kenji approached me with a cocky smirk on his face.

"I warned you," He said and sprinted toward me. A sword emerged from my palm. I mentally thanked Hector for providing me with all these abilities. Kenji swung his spear at me, but I easily blocked it. However, his strength was greater than mine, causing me to get pushed back.

Each strike for Kenji pushed me further. His last strike was backed by his spiritual power, pushing me further away from me. "What's going on?" He asked. "If you think you're stronger than me, you are joking. You're made of metals and that is your limit. Your strength is that metal you are made of, and I won't make any robot overpower me."

A nervous smile appeared on my face. "Thank you for pointing out my weakness," I told him. I raised my sword, examining it. It looked like a regular sword. "But, I'm not using my soul pet," I ran my fingers along my sword. Flames engulfed the blade and a red mark appeared on the sharp edge. The flames went away after a few seconds but small embers remained.

Even though the flames were out, it still felt as if I was surrounded by it. The air around me had become extremely hot.

"Show me what you've got," Kenji said and dashed toward me.

"As you wish," As he approached me, I got ready to swing my sword at him.

"Attacking a friend with that is a bad idea," The Phoenix's voice rang in my head. However, Kenji was already close. I had no choice but to trust the Phoenix. I dropped my sword and attempted to stop Kenji's attack with my hand. Kenji was caught with a surprise. He tried halting his attack but it had already landed. I managed to stop his attack but it sent me to my knees.

As the tip of my sword made contact with the ground, it released a wave of blistering heat that incinerated everything in its path, causing us to fall. The sheer power and intensity of the attack were overwhelming, reducing the ground to ash and leaving a trail of devastation in its wake.

Kenji managed to protect himself from the heat. I hope Robert is safe. I managed to grab my sword before it could go any further. "Are you okay?" I asked him. He nodded in silence. I would have killed him if the Phoenix hadn't warned me. With a shocked expression, Kenji looked around at the hole created by my power. I helped him up to his feet and we both exited the hole since the extreme heat was still present.

~~~

Sorry for a short chapter.