Chapter 2: The day before Summer break

In the present time, on the campus of the Whitmore University, it all started on a normal morning before summer break. All the students have left their rooms and went to the class as usual. Lisa and Holly brushed their hair and felt confident that they are going to have the best summer break from the late month of May. They went to the hallway after leaving their room 201 and smiled happily before their friends have left their rooms as well.

"Ah, what a lovely morning in the campus of the Whitmore University, girls!" said Holly.

"That's right, Holly!" said Lisa.

"Yeah, girl! Whitmore University Rules!" said Rita.

"It's awesome, isn't it, Rita?" said Maureen.

"Pretty nice, yo!" said Portia.

The girls laughed as they left the Freshman Residence Hall and went straight towards the classroom. They talked to each other about their future plans for summer break and other plans to spend time with their families. Lisa and Holly greeted their classmates while the other girls greeted many others. Along the way, Maureen bumped to a goth girl, causing her to drop her poetry book. She nervously smiled and gave it to her, "Sorry! My bad!" She apologized, "I'm on my way to the classroom!" Maureen adjusted her glasses.

"I'm not gonna lie, Lisa. We are in the month of may and it means that we're going to see our family again after class!" stated Holly.

"I agree with you, Holly, we can go to Arcadia whenever we want!" Lisa chuckled before giving her friend a high five.

"Yeah! Or spend time wearing this!" Verena took off her pants, revealing her polka-dotted shorts in public.

"Gah! Verena, don't do that in public!"

"Oh, sorry..."

"My female cousin comes to visit me in Atlanta during summer," said Mallory.

"Gee, Mallory, my brother Jordy told me earlier that he loved hearing Holly's songs!" said Bailey.

"I don't have a brother. But, I have a sister," said Vivian, "Fer shur, she is my sister, remember?"

"Vivian, what if your sister would wear a dress from the 50's?" Holly asked.

When the girls are almost on their way to the classroom, they stopped on their tracks to see Beverly Streator, a pink-haired girl also on her way to the classroom, along with her only friend and companion, Brooke, "Oh, my, it's Beverly Streator!" The rag doll exclaimed.

"Is she a new doll?" said Nikki.

"No, Nikki, she is not a doll and a toy either," Lisa stated, "Look at her!"

"Hello, how you doin'?" Beverly greeted two girls, who ignored her, "Okay, nice to see you!" She said as she walked confidently, not caring about being respected, "Hi, how are you?"

"Don't bother me," A boy walked away.

"Huh. The students found her so embarrassing because she is the new girl," said Holly as she continued walking with her friends.

"Yeah, and not so popular. She doesn't care about being unpopular," Lisa remarked before Beverly showed up, "Oh! Beverly Streator! How are you? Some other students see you as the new girl with the pretty pink hair."

"I agree with Lisa, Beverly."

"Oh, thanks, Holly. Anyway, you looked great wearing a old-fashioned dress in a modern timeline," Beverly stated before seeing a male teacher passing by, "Hello, how are you? Top of the mornin'!" She greeted him despite the teacher not looking at her, "You have a talent for singing, rag doll."

"Beverly, I have a talent for singing to impress everyone," Holly has put her hands on her skirt pocket, "What about you?"

"I told a student that I like to play the clarinet!" Beverly smiled as she remembered how she liked to play her clarinet. In a flashback, at her old high school, Beverly was part of the music class where the other students played their instruments. She was among them and began playing her clarinet badly, much to the annoyance of her classmates.

"Hey! Stop it!" said the music teacher.

"Please! You all love my music!" The pink-haired girl told them and kept playing, "It's all about me, get it?"

"Beverly, just stop!" said a boy carrying a saxophone.

"You're not playing your clarinet perfectly!" said a girl carrying a trumpet.

Back to the present, Beverly smiled in satisfaction and did not care how she played her clarined badly. Then, Brooke showed up to get her attention, "Brooke! Can't you see that I'm walking with them?"

Brooke was a girl with brown hair tied with a ponytail and wore a pink strapless shirt and a magenta skirt and red sneakers without socks. She smiled nervously and talked to her, "Sorry, Beverly, I thought that you were talking to these girls, even those talking dolls."

"I know one thing to impress, girls! Singing! I love singing!"

In a brief pause, Beverly talked, "Show me what you can do."

The rag doll smiled and clapped her hands twice before starting to sing the music "Say the Word" by Arcadia.