Chapter 33

An hour has passed since we entered the fairgrounds. All the walking on my crutches really put a toll on my body, and I was sweating in places that I shouldn't. It had gotten to the point to where I had to have Jasper run out to the car to grab me another set of clothes so I could change. Unlike my grandparents house, the rain never made it here. So the sun had fair game to make it unbearably hot. Now I was wearing a thin yellow sundress, which was way better than the black T-shirt and sweats I had on earlier.

I leaned back on the bench, one hand clenching a cold bottle of water and the other holding onto the fuzzy blue bear that Jasper had won me. I knew it bruised Evans ego that he couldn't manage to knock over those bottles, but he wasn't as athletic as Jasper was. As far as I knew, Evan never played a sport in his life.

A few minutes ago I shooed the boys away to go ride that poorly, but fun looking rollercoaster that was being run by a guy who looked like the split image of Joe Dirt. At first they tried to object, saying that it would be unfair since I couldn't ride it, but by the moon eyes they were making at it as well as the other rides that looked equally as dangerous, it wasn't hard to convince them to go.

It felt strange being alone again after constantly being with the boys these past few days. And I'm grateful they came with me. If I had left five minutes sooner, who knows what would have happened. Could I have gotten into an accident? Yes. Or maybe not. But I was rather upset that day, and driving with your eyes all blurry with tears was not the smartest move.

As I sat there, I dazed off into space as I recalled these last few weeks. From Evan bringing food to my house to me falling out the window. Looking back on that now, I felt like an idiot for doing that. It was raining heavily that day, and the sheer fact of that and how it is well known that I have no upper body strength, I should have realized I would have never crossed that gap. If I had instead of walked out of my house and into his, all of this would never had happened. My leg would have been perfectly fine, and who knows, maybe I would have been working at Bello's the whole time. I would have gotten closer to Evan, and Jasper would have been partying at the lake with his buddies while still hating me.

'Did I want that?' I asked myself, but I quickly pushed that thought away.

No. As messed up as it sounds, I'm glad all this happened. I mean, I'm not glad I had broken my leg. I would have been cool with breaking my arm instead, but it is what it is.

The sun was bringing to set, and all the colorful lights on all the stands turned on. The multicolored lights lit up the grassy walkway, and I was in awe.

When I was younger, I had always wanted to go to a state fair like this. I begged Mom to take me when I was little, but her empty promise to take me every year never panned out. Something always came up last minute, and I usually would end up spending the night alone in my room while she was off doing god knows what.

Suddenly, as I was staring off into space, someone stopped in front of me. Blocking my view of the festivities in front of me. I looked up to see two boys around my age towering over me with mischievous smirks on their faces.

And neither one of them was Evan or Jasper.

"Can I help you?" I asked cautiously as my eyes darted back and forth between the pair.

"I'm Drake," one of the boys said. He wore a red and black muscle shirt, and his toned arms glistened with sweat. His green camo shorts hung loose on his hips. His brown hair was long on the top but cut short on the sides.

"Ricky" said the other one. Much like Drake, he wore a muscle shirt that was a dark blue and a pair of tan shorts. His hair was blond and curly, and it was spilling out of the backwards ball cap he wore.