Chapter 20

When eleven o'clock rolled around, I opened the front door just in time to see Evan pull into the driveway. Even through the glass of the windshield, I could see the smile appear on his face the moment he saw me. It caused my heart to flutter in my chest.

"Hey," he says after he got out of the car and started to walk towards me. He gently wrapped an arm around me and placed a his on the top of my head, causing me to blush slightly. "Ready to go?"

I nodded as I stuck my hand in the front pocket of my hoodie just to make sure I had everything I needed, which I did. "Yeah."

"So, what's on your list of things to buy?" he asked me as he started to help to to his car.

"Well, I'm in dire need of laundry soap," I tell him as I glance down at my clothes. "It was slim pickings today."

Evan chuckled as he looked my up and down. "What's wrong with your outfit?"

I glanced down at my shorts that I haven't worn in at least two years. They were a neon pink, and they were too short for my taste. Plus, they didn't really go with my dark blue hoodie. But there wasn't much I could do about this. These were the only clean clothes I had.

"At least several things," I say as he opens the passenger door and helps ease me down into it. He went even as far to push the seat back a few inches for me to make sure I had enough room for my leg.

"Well, I for one, think you look great," he tells me as he gave me a small wink before closing the door. My face immediately blushed, and I couldn't help but smile as I watched Evan walk around to the drivers side of the car. When he got in, he looked over at me with a smile. "Ready?"

I nodded, and Evan put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway and onto the street. Music softly played, but it was to low and I wasn't able to hear it clearly. However, I didn't mind.

"So what did you want to ask me last night?" I asked Evan when we stopped at a stop sign. Evan turned to look at me, and it was obvious that he was a bit thrown by me bringing it up. "We are face to face now. Well, technically side by side."

"Yes, but it's not important right now," he said as he waved it off, but it only caused me to worry.

"Did I do something?" I asked him, my eyes narrowing in confusion.

"What? No, of course not. Why would you think that?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, really. I thought that you might have changed your mind and started to hate me or something."

Evan turned to me with a sad look on his face. He took his free hand and took mine in it before he gave it a squeeze. "I could never hate you, so don't think about it."

I let out a sigh of relief as before I looked back out the window. Houses zoomed past us as we drove down street after street. Neither one of talked, which was fine for me. I was still nervous about the fact that there was a slight chance that Evan might know what had happened last night.

A couple of streets away was a small grocery store called Berry's. It wasn't anything fancy, but it was much easier to go to this place rather than the big chain store that was twenty miles away. Besides, they bake the best chocolate cake.

"Are you good going here?" Evan asked as he pulled into the small parking lot that was nearly filled.

"Yeah," I say as I unbuckle my seat belt. He turned off the engine and held his keys in his hands.

Evan gave me a small smile before get started to get out of the car. Before I could even open my door, Evan was already on my side helping me to my good food. I had my hands balanced on top of the car as he grabbed my crutches.