Chapter 6

Jasper's POV.

"Female Caucasian, approximately seventeen years of age," said the female paramedic as they rolled Hattie through the emergency room doors. I was rushing along side them and my eyes never left Hattie. "Broken tibia, possible concussion, and a shallow laceration on the left arm."

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked as I held onto the railing of the stretcher.

"We're going to do the best we can," said one of the nurses as she glanced at me. "You're gonna have to stay in the waiting room."

"What?" I asked in disbelief. "No, I'm going with Hattie. I have to be there."

"Sir, listen. The doctors are going to do what they need to," she says as she stops me from walking any farther. My hand slips off the cool metal and I watch as they all go through a set of double doors. "Why don't you just go have a seat. One of the nurses will bring you out some paperwork that you can fill out for your friend. Is there anyone you can call?"

I nod my head. "Yeah."

"Alright," she says as she gives me a warm smile. "I'll let you know when there's an update.'

I walk over to the waiting room area and find it completely empty. My hand was shaking as I pulled out my phone. There were multiple text and calls from the guys from the lacrosse team asking where I was, but I ignored them. 

I clicked 'Elenore Page' and immediately braced for her to yell at me, but her phone went straight to voicemail. I tried a dozen times, but nothing.

"Elenore," I said with a shaky voice. "When you get this, call me back. Something happened to Hattie and you should come to the hospital when you hear this."

I hang up the phone and let out a sigh. Since her mom didn't answer, I wasn't sure if I should call her dad or not. He was still her father and maybe he'd know how to get a hold of Elenore, but I decided against it. 

I dialed my mom's number, hoping she would answer. On the third ring, there was an answer.

"Hey sweetie. Did you just leave?" She asked as she referred to the trip.

"No," I say as I tried to keep my voice steady. "I'm at the hospital right now. Hattie..." I try to say, but I hesitate.

"What happened to Hattie?" She suddenly asked with a voice full of worry.

"She had an accident," I tell her. "I tried calling her mom but she's not answering. I don't know what to do mom."

"Well her mom is on her way to Italy right now," she says. I could her her moving frantically from my end of the phone. "I'm leaving work now, okay? I'll try to get there as fast as I can."

"Thanks Mom," I say as I hang up the phone and place my head in my hands.

___________________________________

Hattie's POV

The sound of beeping caused me to wake up, which was strange. There was nothing in my bedroom to make that sound.

When my eyes opened, everything was blurry and spinning slightly. I groaned as I tried to sit up, but a sudden sharp pain caused my to cry out slightly.

"Hattie, don't move, okay," I heard a voice say. I looked my side and see Emily standing next to me. She had a soothing hand on my shoulder that calmed me.

"We're am I?" I asked as I looked around.

"The hospital," she tells me as she brushed the stray hairs off my face. "Do you remember what happened?"