Chapter 31

"You can't be serious?" I asked, slightly in awe, as I stare out the window of the back seat. I quickly turn to Jasper to see his smirk in the rear view mirror.

"Oh, I'm serious," Jasper says as he follows the line of cars in front of us into the big field of grass. My car bounced side to side, and I gripped the part of the seat belt that went over my chest in fear of somehow being thrown from the car. Jasper eased the car to a complete stop as he pulled into the grassy parking space. 

"The state fair?" Evan asked in confusion as he looked around. "Why did we come here?"

"Because," Jasper said as he put the car in park and pulled the key out of the ignition. "We weren't given a time to be back in Haven, right? I say we have fun, eat awful amounts of food that we very well know will make us sick, and win the largest prize on the whole damn fair ground. Now, are you two with me or should I crack a window?"

Evan turned around in his seat to look at me. By the expression on his face, I could tell that he was on Jasper's side of the whole thing. I couldn't blame him though. The smells wafting around the car were very tempting.

"What do you think, Hattie?" Evan asked me.

I let out a sigh, but then I smiled. "Just as long as I get some nachos I'm in."

Jasper cracked a smile. "That can be done."

Jasper was the first one to open the door and get out of the car, who was then followed by Evan. Just as my fingertips grazed the door handle, the door was opened from the other side for me. I looked up to see Jasper standing there with his hand outstretched to me. At first, I was a bit caught off, but I then realized that he was only doing it to be nice. I was sitting directly behind him in the car, so naturally I would have been getting out on the same side.

I grabbed Jaspers hand and started to pull myself out. His hand was large and warm compared to my small one, and for some odd reason it felt as if his hand was getting hotter when holding mine. I looked up to see Evan standing on the other side of the car staring at us with my crutches in his hands. His mouth was pressed into a line as if he wanted to say something, but couldn't.

I narrowed my eyes in confusion. "Is everything alright, Evan?"

As if my voice brought him out of his daze, he looked me in the eyes and smiled. "I'm fine. I got your crutches."

By the time Evan reached me on my side of the car with the crutches, Jasper had already let go of my hand and he was turned with his back towards me. I was confused by the way that both Evan and Jasper were acting. Did something happen between the them that I didn't know about? Probably. They have been talking a lot since the whole thing that happened with my mom the other day, but was that a good thing. Before now, these two were at each others throats, and now they were acting civilized.  

"Did something happen between you guys?" I asked as I took the crutches. Evan visibly freezes in his spot, and Jaspers head popped right up.

"No," they both said at the same time, but I didn't believe them, but it was best not to press on. I didn't want to cause a scene in a crowd this large.

"So," I say as I turned to look at the fair. "What should be do first?"

"Well, I think the roller coaster is out of the question for you," Evan says with a chuckle.

"For me, definitely," I say as I look at both of them. "But you guys can go on it."

"Deal," Jaspers says before Evan could object. "Come on."

As we walked into the fair, it was unbelievably crowded. Even though it was only a little after noon, it seemed like everyone in the state was here. Bells were ringing, and young children hyped up on sugar were running around. It seemed like everywhere we went was packed. Even some of the lines for food were ridiculously long.

"I don't know about you guys, but I'm starving," Jasper says as he eyes up one of the food trucks. "Nachos for Hattie, and Evan wants?"

"A burgers fine," Evan said before he turned to me. "Lets go check out the games." Before I could say anything, Evan placed his hand on my lower back and directed me to where the games were.  

"Hey, no fair!" I heard Jasper call out to us. "I like games too."

I turned my head back to look at Jasper one last time before the crowd swarmed around us. He stood there with a sad look on his face, but it just added more to the mystery. What exactly was going on with Jasper? It was strange. I've known him for almost ten years, and it was like now he was finally learning how to be a decent person. What could have possibly changed in the last few day to cause this much of a dramatic change in him?

As Evan and I walked down the rows of games, I noticed that he was acting strange as well. He was looking straight ahead the whole time, but every now and then I would see him look over at me in the corner of my eye.

"What happened between you and Jasper?" I blurted out before I was able to stop myself.

Evan turned to me and gave me a weird look. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean," I sighed. "One minute you're at each others throats, and the next you're practically making friendship bracelets for each other."

Evan snorted. "I have never made a friendship bracelet in my life, and if I did, Jasper sure as hell isn't getting one."

"Well whats happening?" I asked. "Did you two call a truce or something?"

"Something like that," he told me. "He and I agreed that you were more important then whatever is going one between Jasper and I?"

I looked at him and narrowed my eyes. Me? Important? Obviously those were Evans words, not Jaspers. I bet that Jasper couldn't wait til we all got home and he could get back to his life. 

"Come on," Evan said with a smile. "Lets go play some games. 

__________________________________________

Hey everyone, sorry about the little hiatus I was one and sorry this chapter isn't really that long. Some stuff happened to me and lets just say I wasn't in the right head space to be writing a love story. I won't get into any details but lets just say my now ex did something that really messed me up emotionally and psychologically and I'm just now getting my life back on track. 

If you guys have a problem with that, come fight me or whatever. Actually, please don't I have the strength of a noodle. I'll still be finishing the story so don't worry about that.