Chapter 16

"You should really keep your friends on a leash," spoke a voice that came up behind me in my ear. I had been at the kitchen sink washing the cups that had been used. The voice startled me, causing the cups covered in soap to slip out of my hand and into the sink.  Hot water splashed out of the sink and all over the counters, the floor, and me

"Jesus Christ, Jasper," I yell as I pull the drenched fabric off of my stomach. I didn't hear Jasper come back into the house. "The only person who needs a leash is you."

I grab a rag that was laying on the counter and started to dab at the water. It stung slightly, and it would probably be a little red, but I'll live. I glanced at Jasper, who was getting the mop that was propped against the wall.

"Are you burnt?" He asked casually as pushed the mop across the floor to pick up the water.

I chuckled to myself. "You'd like that wouldn't you?"

Jasper stopped mopping and looked up at me. "No. I wouldn't," he said firmly before looking back down and continued to clean. 

I looked at him speechless. Jasper didn't want me to get hurt? That's a first. He was the type of person that would drink all the water instead of using it to put out a person on fire.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I turned to face him.

"It's called cleaning," he says sarcastically.

"Not that," I said as I looked him up and down. "Ever since yesterday, you've been acting weird. What's going on? Is this some new kind of torture you want to try out?"

Jasper remained silent for a moment. I wasn't sure if it was because he was trying to think of something to say or to just be a jerk. Either way, it was annoying.

"Whatever," I say shaking my head as I go back to washing the dishes. "When you're done just go watch TV or something. I don't want to deal with your bullshit today."

"My bullshit?" Jasper acted as if I offended him.

"Yes, your bullshit," I snapped as I reach in and pulled the stopper out of the drain. "One minute you are being an ass, and the next you're trying to act all innocent. What was that about yesterday in my room?"

"What? Am I not allowed to change?" Jasper said bitterly as he put the mop away.

I let out a laugh. "As if you know how. You can't change once you get to a certain point."

Jasper grunted in annoyance, but I didn't care. I grab the hand piece of the crutches and start to walk to the stairs. Getting up the stairs was much easier now, which was good. I could put as much distance between Jasper and I as I could.

Once I was upstairs, I threw my crutches to the side and plopped down on my bed and yelled into my pillow. Jasper aggravated me so much. I just wanted my leg to heal as fast as it could so I wouldn't have to see him for the rest of the summer.

My phone that was laying on my bed dinged. When I went downstairs earlier I forgot to grab it. I reached down to grab it. The screen lit up to show that I had received a couple of texts.

Evan: Good morning :D                                     

Evan: Hattie?                                                       

Evan: Did you fall out another window?   

I smiled as I read the last thing he wrote and began to reply back.

Me: No. I had some people over this morning and I left my phone upstairs.        

Just as I was about to lock my phone and set it aside, it dinged.