Chapter 29

The wind blew my hair slightly as I sat alone in front of the house on the swing under the big oak tree. Everything that I thought I knew was a lie. Those people in there weren't really my grandparents. Not really. It wasn't like I was related to them anyway. Now knowing this, I knew I could no longer stay here. Even if I did, I would just be a stranger in another house.

Time past slowly, and all I could think about was how my mother and father, well, Frank, lied to me all these years. Mom never told me anything that Frank did. The separation, the cheating, and even the fact that my real father was out there somewhere and I had no idea who it could be. However, it's not like I wanted to know who it was. I didn't want to add another to the list of disappointing parents to the list.

The conversation I had with everyone still ran through my head. Every word was seared into my memory, and I would never forget it.

_____________________________________________

"Hattie, I'm not your biological father."

I felt as if someone had just punched me in the stomach. My mouth went dry, and I had the sudden urge to throw up. 

"What?" I asked softly as I stared blankly at everyone around the table. Both my grandparents remained silent, and after a few seconds the man the apparently wasn't my father opened his mouth to speak.

"Your mother slept with another man and got pregnant," he told me sadly. "I was shocked when she brought it up that day, but probably not as shocked as you are now."

"No," I say as I lean back in my seat. 

"I'm sorry, sweetie," he sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. "But you are still my baby girl. I didn't care that you weren't really mine, but you were. I remember holding you in my arms when you came into this world. I fought hard to keep you, but the court wouldn't allow it. You're mother even filed a temporary restraining order on me."

"But that doesn't make sense though. Candice looks just like me," I say to them.

"Yes, you're both blond and have green eyes, but so does you mothers parents," he explains to me. "It's just a coincidence."

"Then, who is my father then?"

Frank shook his head. "I have no idea. Your mother refused to tell me, but I'm convinced she doesn't remember."

"How come I've never heard this before?" I questioned as I started to get a little angry. Everyone in the room has been keeping secrets from me for years, and all I wanted was answers.

"Hattie, how many times have I actually talked? Not on the phone but face to face?"

I thought about it, but I couldn't get an answer. This was the first time I had actually been in the same room with him since he left home. He look much older now, and I could see gray streaks in his hair.

"Never, I suppose," I say as I look away from him.

"I'm not sure of what your mom told you, but I've always wanted to be there for you."

I nodded as I pushed my chair back and grabbed my crutches. "I need to be a lone for a bit. I'm going to go get some air."

"Hattie," Frank said as he called out to me as I walked past him, but I just kept walking.

________________________________________

Tears stung the corners of my eyes, but I made no move to wipe them away. My hand clenched the ropes that held the swing up tightly. The world around me was spinning so fast that if I loosened my grip on the swing I was frightened to fall off.