Chapter 15

The sound of my phone ringing woke me up out of a deep sleep. I rolled on to my side and saw it was a little after ten o'clock. Groaning, I reached over to grab my phone to see who was calling me.

It was my dad. I looked at my phone in confusion as I declined the call. After I place the phone down on the nightstand, I rolled back over and closed my eyes. Suddenly, the phone started to ring again.

I screamed into my pillow before getting my phone and rejecting the call once more. Just as I was about to set it back down, it rang again.

"What?" I snapped into the phone the second I answered it. I swear if he's calling to try to get me to go on that trip I will beat him with my crutches.

"Sissy?" asked a confused child on the other end.

"Justin? Is that you?" I ask as I sit up in bed.

"Yeah," he said proudly.

"Hey buddy," I say with a smile. "What's up?"

"I just really missed you," he says sadly.

"I've missed you too," I said to him. "How's you're summer going? Are you playing a lot with your friends?"

"Yeah. I'm playing with Sam. He's going to come over later to play some video games with me," Justin says into the phone. I smile, Sam was the little boy who lived across the street from them. He and Justin were practically joined at the hip since they spent so much time together. I've only met him once, but he seems like a good kid.

"What about your sister? Where is she?" I asked as I brought up Candice. Candice was a splitting image of me when I was younger. Even though we were only half siblings, she and I both had blond hair as well as she same shade of green eyes that we inherited from our grandmother.

"She's out in the garden with mom and dad planting flowers," he tells me.

"Ah, so you just stole Franks phone and called me, huh?" I question him as I swing my good leg off the bed. "Someones being naughty."

"It's not like he was using it."

"True," I agree while shrugging. "So, what else is going on?"

"Well, um..," Justin said but he stopped himself, as if he didn't know whether or not to bring something up.

"Justin, you can tell me anything. I'm your big sister right?"

"Well, I just wanted to know if you changed your mind about going to the lake?" he asked, but I heard the sadness in his voice. I could feel my heart break slightly. "I know you and dad don't get along, but I really want to see you."

"Justin," I say softly since I didn't want to upset him further. "I want to see you too, but I can't go to the lake. I just don't think it would be a good idea for me to be near dad."

"What did dad do to make you hate him so much?" he asked me, causing me to sigh. The kids didn't know that their mom was the 'other' woman that my dad cheated on with. Frank and Tessa wanted to make my mom look like the bad person, but in all reality, all three adults sucked.

"You'll find out when you're older," I tell him, but before he could complain I spoke again. "How about this. I'll take you and Candice out bowling one day? Just us siblings. We can get pizza."

"Deal," Justin says quickly, causing me to laugh. I could hear the sound of the door opening in the background of the phone and I could hear mumbling. "They're back."

"Okay, I guess this is it for now," I tell Justin with a small laugh. "I love you, buddy."

"I love you too, sis," he says, but I can still tell that he's sad.