18-Last day

We slept again in my bed, cuddling. He ran his hand over my head with his large hand. I looked up at him, my eyes shimmering into his. He smiled gently at me, and I smiled back. He sat up in bed, and I followed suit. I went to the sink and splashed cold water on my face. My thoughts consumed me. Tomorrow is the big fight, and I'm worried.

Gojo leaned against the wall with his arms crossed and said, "You're quiet." 

At first, I didn't realize he was speaking to me, and he waved to get my attention. 

When I noticed, I said thoughtfully, "Hmm?" 

He sighed and said emphatically, "Why. Are. You. So. Quiet. Today." 

I straightened up and said, sighing, "Today is the last day."

 I looked at him with a mix of sadness and determination.

 His face became serious, and he stepped away from the wall, saying, "I thought we already discussed this." 

I took a deep breath and shook my head, saying, "Right, we did. Sorry."

 He looked at me even more seriously and came over to hug me tightly. I leaned my head against his chest. Then, in a mix of conviction and uncertainty, I asked him, "You promise you'll come back to me, right?" 

He let go of me and lifted me up in a fireman's lift. My heart raced at his lift, and I asked in shock, "What are you doing?"

 He walked to the door, opened it, and carried me out, saying, "I'll personally take you downstairs because you're taking too long."

 He walked down the stairs. The students were already downstairs, looking at us with wide eyes. 

Hakari winked at us, "Is it getting hot in here?"

 Gojo stopped in front of the students and set me down. I adjusted my hair and looked at him annoyed. 

I pointed at myself proudly and then pointed at him, "Me" and then gestured towards him, "Against you."

 Everyone looked at us with wide eyes.

 Yuta whispered to Maki, "I thought they were announcing something else."

 He looked at me with wide eyes, "What?"

 I nodded at him, grinning. Shoko came down the stairs with a cigarette in her mouth and waved her hand, saying angrily, "Absolutely not, Gojo. If you agree, you're the reason she could go blind." 

He turned to her with an incredulous look, "You don't seriously think I'll agree to that, do you?" 

I showed him my middle finger and rolled my eyes, saying boredly, "I just wanted a bit of action."

 He scratched the back of his head and stretched, "You'll get it tomorrow."

 Utahime also came down the stairs and stood next to Shoko, saying calmly, "We should plan how we'll proceed tomorrow."

 I agreed, "She's right."

 Gojo yawned, "I'll attack directly. Utahime, you'll assist me with your power for a temporary attack, and I'll handle the rest myself."

 I sighed and said, "And if something goes wrong?"

 He looked at me, "I'll give a signal if I need help."

 We all sighed, and Yuji said, "I'm sure it won't come to that." 

I nodded at him and said convincingly again, "You'll win." I turned to Gojo and said seriously, "You have to win."

He looked at me seriously and said confidently, "I will win." 

I sighed and said to everyone, "But how do we get Sukuna out of Megumi's body?" 

Maki spoke up and drew a sword from its sheath, saying, "This sword here is a Soul Cutter. If we stab him with it, there's a possibility of awakening Megumi's soul." 

Gojo nodded at her, "Once I incapacitate Sukuna, you'll come into play, Maki."

 She nodded. 

I turned to Shoko, asking, "How long do I have to keep resting my eyes?" 

She removed her mouthpiece, threw it in the trash, and said, "As long as possible."

 I sighed. 

Yuji stretched his arm out and warmed up by circling his shoulders, saying, "We students should go train."

 Yuta nodded in agreement, "Yeah, we should continue training." They all followed him toward the training room where I had hidden from Gojo yesterday. 

Gojo smiled and said, "Someday they'll surpass me."

 I smiled at the thought of them progressing. Shoko went to the coffee machine, made herself a coffee, and went back upstairs with the cigarette in her mouth.

 Once she was gone, Utahime sighed, "Shoko seems very depressed."

 Gojo's expression darkened. 

I said understandingly, "After all the people we've lost, it's understandable."

 She took a deep breath and went upstairs slowly, saying, "I'll check on her." And she disappeared too. 

I turned to Gojo took the chance, stretched, did a forward somersault, and attacked him with my foot in a handstand position. 

He blocked it with his right hand and looked down at me, saying, "I'm not going to fight you."

 I went for another kick, but he dodged it, and I stood in front of him again, throwing punches from right and left. He blocked them all without breaking eye contact. Finally, he caught one of my fists, pulled me toward him, placed his hand on my stomach, and released cursed energy, throwing me backward.

 I said amusedly, "That's more like it! Now, get serious." 

He looked at me neutrally, teleported in front of me in a blur, and jabbed his hand into my stomach, pressing into my solar plexus, making me buckle. I had to catch my breath for a moment, then I crouched slightly and aimed for his chin. He let his head fall back and did a backflip. I quickly teleported behind him before he landed and delivered a blow to his back, sending him forward. He widened his eyes and grinned. 

I thought I had the upper hand for a moment, but he teleported behind me, grabbed my left arm, made a half turn with me, released his cursed energy, which caused me to spin completely. Then he took my other arm and pressed me down like police officers apprehending a suspect. 

He said amusedly, "I like you in this position." 

I grinned back, "OK, I give up, you win."

 He released my arm and applauded me, "Very good, I notice you've gotten faster in speed."

 I smiled broadly.

I then said, "Yes, of course! After you were sealed away, I had to face many battles."

 He looked at me proudly. His smile meant the world to me.

POV GOJO:

I looked at her proudly. Since I had been away, everyone had somehow changed. Even you, YN, had changed. When I came out of the seal and saw that you were thinner, with scars on your face and body, and then you cried in my arms, all I wanted was to lay the whole world to burn. I couldn't protect you emotionally or physically, and that hurt me deeply. 

Being the strongest but still not being able to do anything hurts the most. 

I just promised her to talk about my emotions and when things are hard for me, but I can't do it, and I don't want to burden her more than she already is. 

My thoughts dissolved when I saw her running towards me, taking my hand, and indicating that I should follow her, and in that moment, I saw the most beautiful smile on earth. I wanted to hug her, to wrap her in a protective bubble and keep her with me forever, but I knew that wasn't possible. 

Her radiant, intensely ruby eyes shone even brighter through the sunlight streaming through the glass, and I lost myself in her gaze.