Tristful - Chapter 24

Third person's pov

The days dragged on as Sunghoon remained softly devoted to Sunoo, preparing his meals, tidying up after him, checking on him each night without fail.

Sunoo was aware of it all - Sunghoon coming to his room when darkness fell, leaving a gentle kiss on his forehead, stroking his hair and cheeks with a feather-light touch, tucking the blankets snugly around his frame as the winter is approaching faster. 

Sunghoon's gaze held longing and sadness whenever it settled on Sunoo, and the younger found himself unable to focus on his plans.

Each time they sat together, he would forget he was not supposed to fall in love again, that he is supposed to use Sunghoon this time and then leave him behind, supposed to accept that they could never truly be together. Yet, Sunghoon's sorrowful eyes made it impossible.

"Sunoo-ya. I'll be back in the evening."
Sunoo stared at Sunghoon's broad back as he fixed his hair in the mirror, admiring his handsome features, his face calm and composed as he looked back at Sunoo through the reflection.

It was the weekend, and Sunghoon had to return to his home for some reason that Sunoo didn't dare ask about - in fact, he knew next to nothing of Sunghoon's mysterious past.

Sunghoon looked calm as he checked himself in the reflection, while Sunoo sat nervously on the edge of the bed, clutching the mattress beneath him.

He didn't know where Sunghoon was going or anything about his past really. Sunoo contemplated asking but couldn't find the words, unsure if he should pry. An uneasy feeling settled in his stomach at the thought of Sunghoon leaving for the day.

The older turned, his steps slow and deliberate as he approached Sunoo. Bending down, he left a soft kiss on Sunoo's forehead that made the younger's heart race.

"I'll be back." Sunghoon murmured, his deep, husky voice, Sunoo's eyes fluttered as Sunghoon's face lingered inches from his own, heat rushing to his cheeks.

Sunoo clutched at the sheets beneath him, suddenly feeling shy under Sunghoon's intense gaze.

As Sunghoon stood before him dressed in sleek black, looking unfairly handsome, Sunoo contemplated reaching out to hold him there. He yearned to pull Sunghoon close and savor his warmth before he left, to do something to make him stay a little longer.

But he hesitated, fingers twitching at his sides as indecision paralyzed him.

Sunoo stood back and gently adjusted Sunghoon's collar, whispering "Come back safe," with as much courage as he could muster.

His palms tingled where they made contact with Sunghoon's chest, heart pounding at their closeness. Still, he let his hands fall away.

Sunghoon emerged out of Sunoo's room, having tidied himself up, with the younger following close behind into the hallway.

"Eat up and I'll be back before you know it." Sunghoon said gently, tenderly brushing Sunoo's bangs from his forehead. 

"And put on something warm, okay?" he added, eyeing the shorts Sunoo had on.

Sunoo nodded mutely, staring down at his feet, yearning for more intimacy from Sunghoon. He agonized over whether asking for a kiss would seem too greedy.

Had he simply grown accustomed to Sunghoon's affectionate pecks, or did he truly crave the soft press of Sunghoon's lips on his own?

Sunoo's heart pounded as Sunghoon suddenly turned and left the apartment. He wanted to call out, to keep Sunghoon from going, but the words stuck in his throat. Gripped by longing, Sunoo made a decision - he had to kiss Sunghoon before he was gone.