Chapter 7

HARPERS POV

-BEEP BEEP-  My alarm clock went off, I woke up at 4:30 trying to be quiet. I grabbed  the small box, where I stored my sharps. I turned on my phone torch, shining it on my wrists. I took out a blunt sharp and scratched my wrist.

The door opened... Zola was in the room next to me.. she must have heard the alarm clock.

"Why are you awake at 4:30?" She asked, her eyes suddenly focusing on my wrist and the sharp object in my other hand. "No, no no" She called out.

"What's all this racket" I heard a voice call out from the bottom of the attic stairs. It was Amelia.. crap. I quickly tried to hide the box and sharp object under my bed. Zola was standing over me holding my wrists down. "AMELIA" Zola shouted.

"STOP IT" I yelled kicking and screaming. Waking up everyone in the house, everyone came rushing to my room. Stood around the bed.

"She keeps doing this!" Zola explained. "Zola sweetie step away for a moment" Meredith stated. Amelia quickly bobbed down next to me and rolled up my pyjama sleeves and looked at my wrists.

"There's a box" Zola said. Tears was streaming down my face. "Harper... shh" Amelia said soothing me. "You can come sleep in my room, but let's get you cleaned up first" Amelia said, taking the bandages and sanitation wipes off Maggie. She carefully cleaned my cuts and bandaged my wrist. Tears still filling my eyes, I wiped them off with my sleeve, now all soggy.

Amelia took out a pair of fresh pyjamas, helping me get dressed. I was too zoned out to notice that she saw every single one of my scars that scattered my body, some fresh, some old.

"How long has this been going on?" Amelia asked. I sighed still crying "I don't know.. since I was like 11 maybe 10" I replied. Amelia looked at me and hugged me gently.

AMELIAS POV:

My poor girl, has been struggling for years and waking up at 4:30 AM to cut. I confiscated the box of sharp objects and anything that could cause harm from her bedroom.

I took Harper to my room. "Try get some sleep" I told her. Harper nodded climbing into the bed, I held her closely cuddling her till she was fast asleep. I kept cuddling her till I was able to close my eyes and get some rest myself.

It was 8AM, I was trying to forget what happened earlier on. I still felt tired but I knew Harper would be feeling much worse. "Hey sweetie" I said as I saw Harpers eyes flicker. "Hi" Her groggy voice mumbled. "Did you sleep okay" I asked. She nodded slightly, then shrugged. "It's okay if you didn't, I'm thinking you could maybe come to work with me and I can keep an eye on you" I said. "But don't I have school" Harper said confused. "You're not going, not when you're like this, I want to keep you close and make sure your safe, so you can be my little assistant today, and if I have surgery's you can watch in the gallery with someone" I said to her knowing she needed to be in school, but I needed her safe. "Ew.. I'd rather not see someone's brain" She chuckled. "Well we will have to think of something else then won't we" I chuckled.

We arrived at the hospital, me and Harper headed to my office. Harper raced me to the spinning chair. "Hey that's my chair" I laughed. Harper gave me a death stair. "Mine now, I'm the chief of neurosurgery now!" She chuckled. "You said ew to seeing me do brain surgery" I laughed. "Well, who said I had to do any surgery, I just want to boss you around" She smiled. I laughed happy to see her smiling and joking around.

"I have a patient to see Harper, do you think you could be my wonderful assistant" I said smiling at her. She nodded, "Only if I don't have to see any brains" She chuckled. "I'll make sure you won't" I said laughing.

"Dr Shepherd!" My patient called out. "Hi Samantha" I said happy to see her smiling. "Who's this here, she looks like your daughter or something" She chuckled. I looked at Harper realising we had a resemblance our hair was dark brown and styled with subtle waves with a similar hair cut. "She is my daughter!" I laughed smiling at Harpers sweet face. "Aww well ain't she just a gem" Samantha giggled.

Harper stood there all shy, I held her hand while I spoke to my patient. "Well Samantha, everything looks good I think we will be able to do your surgery soon" I informed my patient. "Good, I've had enough of this brain tumour" My patient giggled.

"Little Shepherd" My patient called out. Harper looked up anxiously. "You look like you've just seen a ghost, I don't bite munchkin" Samantha laughed. "It's okay Harper" I soothed her.

"Now tell me everything about this wonderful Mom of yours, you are so so lucky that you have a badass brain surgeon as your mother" Samantha chuckled. Harper smiled at her and nodded. "Dr Shepherd you got yourself a shy girl here" Samantha laughed.

"She doesn't shut up at home" I chuckled jokingly. Harper rolled her eyes at me. "Hey silly!" I laughed at her. "Cheeky as well" Samantha laughed. "It's nice talking to you Samantha, I will get your surgery booked for tomorrow at 10:45AM!" I explained. "Thankyou doc, I'll see you later, and I'll see you hopefully tomorrow Little Shep" She laughed. Harper smiled and waved at her to say goodbye.

"I'm proud of you" I said to my teenager. "Cringe" She said rolling her eyes at me. "Heyy" I elbowed her gently. We both laughed as we walked to the main lobby.

In the main lobby we was greeted by Dr Bailey. "Hey Bailey!" I said smiling. "Is this the famous Harper I see?!" Bailey smiled. "Indeed it is" I chuckled smiling at Harper, but noticing a tear drop slide down her face. "Oh Harper" Bailey said gently.

HARPERS POV:

My face flooded with tears, I tried to run. Amelia stopping me and sitting me down on a chair in the waiting room. My knee bouncing rapidly, I sat biting my nails. Amelia took my hand away from my face and held it softly rubbing it.

"Harper can you tell me what's wrong?" Amelia said. I looked up at Amelia she wiped my tears with a tissue hugging me closely. I took a deep breath, "I just need to go to the bathroom and calm down away from others" I said, knowing that wasn't true and that I instead needed to find something I could take to make me feel better.

"Okay sweetie, do you want me to come with you?" Amelia asked me, I wanted her to I felt safe with her, but then I would have to actually go to the bathroom. "No I just need some alone time" I replied. Amelia nodded and I walked in the direction where the bathroom was.

I walked a little further down to find an empty patient room, there they was a tray with a pill bottle on. I didn't even hesitate to read the label, I unscrewed the cap of the container, emptied the pills into my hand and swallowed them all in one.

I searched around the room for more pills, and something sharp. I found some plastic utensils, that I snapped up into sharp shards of plastic. They were pain medications scattered in containers in the cupboards. I took out two containers, and sharpened the plastic shards.

I scratched myself continuously, swallowing a pill every time I scratched to relieve the pain. I started to feel dizzy I kept on going till... all went black...

Authors Note:

Sorry for the cliffhanger

Working on the next chapter now!

What will happen to Harper??