The Eye of the Storm

A few hours had gone by, and Clementine returned with Violet, Louis, and AJ. Brody was talking to Marlon in the courtyard as the group got let in by Mitch, who was on lookout duty. Each person, except for AJ, had a duffle bag stuffed with canned and jarred food.

"You're not listening to me. Marlon, listen to me—I'm telling you, the place was ransacked!" Brody told Marlon in a frantic whisper.

Marlon looked away and had his arms crossed over his chest, and he looked over at Brody and dropped his arms to his sides after she spoke. "It's fine. We'll deal with it," He said sternly just as the gate opened across the courtyard.

Willy sat up on the couch he was lying on, looking over and seeing Clementine and the others with their large load of bags. Ruby looked over from the fire she was standing at, her arms crossed, before she relaxed as Clementine and the others walked over.

"Took y'all a while," She spoke as they got closer.

" 'How poor are they that have not patience!' " Louis quoted as he and Clememtine set their duffle bags on the picnic table. The large bags caught Willy's attention and he ran over, just as Clementine and Louis opened the bags to reveal the spoils within.

"Aasim! Mitch! Check it out! Food!" Willy called out, his hands cupped around his mouth.

I heard the ruckus and woke up with a stretch—the light outside was no longer, and the beam through the boards on the window shone a pale light. I yawned and carefully sat up, looking down at the purring fluffball beside me. "Verena..." I said in a soft whisper, before gently picking up the kitten and cradling her in my arms as I made my way outside to see what was going on.

Just as I emerged from the dorms building, I saw Mitch step beside Violet and stare at the table. "That's, like, a lot of food," I heard him exclaim and I got closer, walking up behind Clementine and Willy without a word.

"Observant as ever, Mitch," Louis commented.

That was when Aasim walked over with Omar, "I can't believe it. Look at it."

Willy looked up from the stash of food and at Clementine, "You're our savior, Clem," He said with a smile.

"Like, seriously," Mitch said, "It's a lot."

"She really is a savior," I said after staying quiet, making both Clementine and Willy jump a bit.

"Y/N!" Clementine gasped and chuckled a little, "Thanks...but don't scare me like that."

"Sorry," I chuckled.

I looked out over the sea of happy faces, and then back at Clementine who was doing the same.

"Louis and Violet helped, too," She said.

Aasim looked at her from the far end of the table, "Neither of them ever brought back this much before."

"Neither have you," Louis replied, leaning over to look at him.

That was when Marlon and Brody walked over—Brody looked shocked beyond all belief to see so much food laid out on the table. Marlon seemed content, for the most part. This was when I realized they just got back from the Train Station, and this was where things would begin to go downhill...

"Where did you get all this?" Brody asked, looking at Clementine.

Louis answered before Clementine could, however. "The old Train Station. Clem knew where it was."

Brody thought for a moment before she spoke again. "Train Station...that's outside the safe zone."

"We'd have even more," Violet spoke up. "But we ran into the creep that fucked up our fish traps."