A Familiar Face

An hour had at least gone by, and we all sat in silence. Clementine was sitting on the bed beside me, and had sat up with Verena in my lap. AJ was kicking the wall in a repeated thud...thud...thud...similar to the ticking of a clock. There was one hung in the room—but it was busted. I looked over at Clementine, who seemed lost in her thoughts as she had her knees drawn up to her chest, her arms crossed and resting on them.

"AJ stop, you'll break your toe or something," Clementine said, looking over at AJ with a slight scowl. AJ ignored Clementine and continued kicking the wall. "Come here, sit down."

"No!" AJ replied, still kicking the wall. "I-It didn't work!" He exclaimed, looking over at Clementine and I. "I did what you said and they didn't even care."

Clementine looked over at me and I met her gaze, before we both looked over at AJ. Neither of us said a word.

"I know that I was bad, but–but they don't wanna let me fix it!" AJ said and looked at the wall.

"AJ, it's gonna have to take time—they aren't gonna immediately forgive us," I said to him with a sigh.

"Y/N's right. AJ, breathe. Remember what we do when we're mad?" Clementine asked, looking over at AJ. AJ ignored Clementine again and continued kicking the wall. "C'mon, you don't wanna be loud, do you? What do we do when we're mad?"

AJ stopped kicking the wall again, standing there for a moment without a word. He balled his hands up into fists, before reciting what he was told by Clementine: "We stop, and think, and, um..." he trailed off before turning around and looking at us. "I'm still really, really mad!" He exclaimed. "I know I'm not supposed to get mad. Or sad. Because then I do dumb things."

"I understand. I'm angry, too," Clementine told him. "Shit, this all sucks."

"Swear," AJ said to Clem and I stifled a chuckle.

"Do as I say..." Clementine said to him.

"...Not as I do," AJ replied.

"C'mon, guys," I said softly. "It's okay to get upset, you two both know that—right? Emotions are a part of being human, and yeah, I agree, this sucks," I spoke, hoping to maybe cheer them up a little bit. "But at least we have each other. I also have a feeling that we'll be back sooner than you may think."

"Are you sure about that?" Clementine asked and gave me a weary look.

"I'm certain," I told her. "Last night I tried telling Brody and Marlon they'd both wind up dead if they didn't stop arguing. Where are they now? Both dead, under two mounds of dirt with crosses bearing their names."

Clementine took a moment to think about that...and she nodded a bit. "I...guess," She muttered. "We'll just have to wait and see."

"I'm still mad, Y/N," AJ said and looked at me.

"We stop, we think and we..." Clementine looked over at AJ. He was mostly calmed down, even if he still said he was angry.

"...Breathe," AJ finished the sentence, sighing softly before taking a few deep breaths.

"Feel better?" Clementine asked, and AJ just looked over. "Still mad, huh?"

"And, uh, I think I'm sad, too," AJ said and turned around, looking at us. He walked over, sniffling a bit before he wiped his nose on his sleeve and climbed onto the bed beside Clementine and I.

"Here," I said once he sat down and I put Verena in his lap. "A furry companion can help you feel better."

AJ smiled a little bit, gently stroking the kitten's fur. Clementine then put an arm around his side and gently pulled him close. "I did what you told me to," he said to Clementine softly.