Back Again

A few hours had passed, and the sun was now in the sky. It was around dawn, and we had left James' camp. Clementine was helping me walk...well she was but by the time we had reached a small wooden bridge that crossed a stream I was in her arms. James was carrying a few of our things, like my bag and guitar. Clementine had her bag on her back and AJ had his gun. I was exhausted, no matter how long I slept.

"Is she awake?" James asked, pausing on the bridge.

"Yeah. She's so hot," Clementine said as I felt her cheek press against my forehead. My head was resting on her shoulder and my breathing was getting shallow.

"I can carry her, you're exhausted," James offered.

"No, I've got her," Clementine said and James nodded in understanding. "Keep up, AJ."

"I am," AJ said, standing right behind Clementine.

James continued walking and Clementine followed him, there were ribbons on the trees and the school wasn't far off in the distance. Birds chirped around us as the stream rushed with water. As Clementine, James, and AJ got closer—the giant iron gate became more visible through the trees.

I shifted a bit in Clem's arms, before hissing with pain. "It...hurts..."

"Hang on, we're almost there," Clementine said softly.

We were right on the gate now, and Willy must've been on watch duty since he appeared above the wall and drew an arrow, aiming at James.

"Walker!" He cried out, staring down at us, before he fired and came close to hitting James in the foot. Willy then saw Clementine and AJ, and I in Clem's arms. "Violet! Louis! They came back!" He said before descending down the ladder and disappearing.

Clementine was barely able to carry me anymore—but she was determined not to let me go. She looked over at James before speaking, "Look, you live out there alone, right?" She asked and looked at him, "You could stay with us."

James turned and looked at Clementine, before he looked down at the arrow that was stuck in the dirt. He stared at it for a moment before he looked back up at Clementine. "Not ready," he told her softly, before he turned and began heading back towards the woods without another word.

Clementine stepped closer to the side gate, struggling to continue carrying my weight.

"I can't keep carrying you," She said, her voice strained.

"Then...put me down.." I said softly and looked up at her. "I'll...be fine..."

"We'll be inside soon, rest now..." Clementine told me and I closed my eyes.

I knew she wasn't going to put me down. Louis came over to the gate and brushed his coat aside and rested his hands on his hips, glaring at Clementine through the iron bars. Clementine leaned forward a bit, and AJ rushed over to help her so she wouldn't fall or drop me, but she ended up collapsing onto her knees anyway.

"Clem!" AJ exclaimed and looked up at Louis, his expression a silent plea for help.

Louis watched and his eyes widened with concern, before he pushed open the gate and ran over. Clementine sat on her knees and I gently slipped out of her arms as she set me on the ground. Louis crouched down and AJ stood beside Clementine.

"Shit, is she?" Louis asked.

"She's alive. She was shot. She's got a fever," Clementine explained to him.

"Come on, let's get her inside," Louis said.

"I can't," Clementine said as she made an attempt to catch her breath.