The Night Will Be Over Soon

"Never mind the darkness,

Never mind the storm,"

The eerie vocals floated along the air as they echoed, and we all turned around...I shook where I stood. I never thought a song could ever scare me, but this one seeped right through my skin and chilled my bones.

"Never mind the blood red moon,

The night will be over soon..."

We all watched—our eyes wide as the faint silhouette of a person emerged from the forest. I inhaled sharply and it caused pain to radiate through my body, but I only winced slightly. As the figure grew closer—we were all able to tell who it was...it was Minerva—her clothes soaked in blood with the axe held over her shoulder, the wound on her face gleaming in the pale moonlight.

"Minnie?" Tenn exclaimed softly, taking a few steps forward.

Behind her, walkers followed the sound of her saddened vocals—groaning loudly as she led them towards us.

"I did it! I found you! Oh, Tenn..." Minerva spoke...her voice shallow. It was no higher than an eerie whisper. She continued to step closer. "My sweet little brother. Come with me."

Tenn backed up as Minerva grew closer, "You're dying!"

"Yes! Yes, I am. I'm finally going someplace better," Minerva exclaimed joyfully. "I want you there with me."

"W-Where everyone gets to be a person again..." Tenn trailed off and started walking forward.

"We're gonna go be with Mom and Dad and Sophie," Minerva whispered. "Together." She continued to drag her feet closer. "It won't be real if you're not there."

"Tenn, she wants you dead," I spoke up, glancing at him.

"Y/N's right, Tenn. Please, don't do anything stupid," Clem stepped forward.

"Don't let her trick you," AJ told him.

"But, I–" Tenn stammered.

A gunshot rang out over the bridge—Minerva raised a small pistol and held it in the air after she fired. More walkers groaned and turned their attention to the scene, getting drawn to the noise like moths to a flame.

"Don't you fucking speak to him!" Minerva yelled before she lowered the gun and aimed it at Clem and I. "Any of you!"

Clem and I ran and ducked behind the truck—AJ, Louis, and Tenn following suit. On the other end of the bridge, more walkers began to swarm and stumbled their way across the clearing.

"She's batshit crazy," I murmured softly.

"Minnie, c'mon! Stop!" Louis exclaimed.

"He needs to be with his family!" Minerva shouted, walkers swarming the bridge on either side of her...but they didn't attack.

"Don't do this," Clem begged.

"What kind of sister asks her little brother to kill himself?" I questioned.

"Don't worry, Tenn. They can try to stop me," Minerva spoke. "But I am not going anywhere without you." Tenn slowly rose to his feet. "The night will be over soon."

Clem got up to try to pull Tenn back down, but Minerva saw her from behind the truck and began to shoot—missing Tenn. Clem ducked back, avoiding the bullets.

"Get down!" AJ exclaimed and tackled Tenn.

A sea of walkers made their way down the bridge—rotting arms outstretched and their decaying jaws snapping. Minerva stood in the center of the crowd...almost like she was the queen of walkers. It reminded me of Lee...when he was dying...after Stranger died and the walker knocked on the door and Lee opened it, but it didn't try to attack him. Its pale eyes only fixed on little Clementine.