It's All or Nothing

We had made it back to the clearing close to the raider's boat, and a lone walker roamed along the path along the tree line. After a few moments with the spotlight shone on it—a bullet pierced through its forehead. Clementine grabbed the walker and pulled it back to where we were all hiding.

"Ugh...guess we're really doing this thing," Ruby sighed.

"Only the team blending in with the walkers need to cover themselves," Clem told us.

"Now we just need your walker friend to–" Ruby spoke, getting cut off by AJ.

"He's here!" AJ exclaimed excitedly.

Everyone turned around at the news, all of our eyes landing on the figure of James—who seemed like a nervous wreck to be surrounded by so many living people at once.

"Good lord–!" Ruby exclaimed in a whisper at the sight of James' appearance.

"Uh...hello..." James said quietly.

"It's okay," I said and stepped forward and stood beside him, turning to the group. "Everyone, this is James."

"He's my friend," AJ said and looked up at him with a smile.

"Mine, too," I hummed.

Everyone else except for Clementine gave him an uncomfortable stare—unsure of what to think.

"He's...uh..." Tenn said, trying to find words.

"He's cuter without the mask, trust me," I partially joked with a chuckle before clearing my throat because of the glare Clem shot at me. "Bad time, I know." I rubbed my neck.

"So. Cool!" Willy quickly exclaimed, his expression changing to one of awe. He walked forward and looked up at James. "How do you get the skin like that?"

"Oh, I, uhm..." James stammered quietly. "Clementine? Y/N?"

"Can I try it on?" Willy asked.

"No," I quickly spoke up. It was time for seriousness. "We have a job we need to do. People to save."

Willy huffed a little, but he knew I was right. He looked down before he looked back up at James. "Oh, and sorry I tried to shoot you that one time. Your mask looks so real."

"Functional and fashionable, I'll take two," Louis commented.

"So he gets to joke?" I huffed to Clem and she just shook her head with a small smile.

James chuckled, sounding a little uncomfortable. "Funny.."

"Is this the guy Clem said she'd ki–" Tenn went to ask but I quickly covered his mouth.

"We don't talk about that—we have more important things to focus on," I shushed him, giving James a small smile.

James just stared at me in confusion, but I brushed it off. So did everyone else.

"Uhm, Clementine, Y/N? Could I speak to you alone? For a moment?" James asked.

"Sure," I said and uncovered Tenn's mouth.

"Good idea," Clem told James before she looked at everyone else. "Hold tight."

They turned and walked off, and I quickly followed them.

"Hey uh, Tenn? Come here buddy, I gotta tell you something," I heard Louis say softly as we walked off.

James stopped walking a little while away, and both Clem and I stood with him.

"The walkers. They'll be here in a little while," James said softly and crossed his arms. "You can join them as they pass through the trees. The noise from the boat will draw them towards the water."