A New Day

(A/N: Something In the Orange belongs to Zach Bryan and anyone else associated with it...I'm also going to cry because this is almost done)

AJ had severed Clementine's leg below her knee, and she cried out in pain. I stumbled back a bit, staring at it as her leg began to bleed profusely. I scrambled to my feet and ripped my jacket off and tore off my shirt, rushing to bandage the wound. I tied the shirt tightly around it as Clem breathed heavily—she was in shock. I looked over and watched as a few walkers began to lose interest and turned, stumbling away from one of the doors. I grabbed my jacket and threw it over my shoulder before I quickly scooped Clem up in my arms...she was already slipping in and out of consciousness.

"Stay with me," I whispered and ran over to the door the walkers left. "AJ, come on!"
AJ opened the door, and together we bolted out of the barn. There weren't as many walkers as there had been originally, so there were only a few that tried following us but AJ and I quickly outran them.

"Stay with me, stay with me," I begged Clem as I held her close to my chest—and I glanced down at her. Her eyes were open slightly, and a very weak smile spread across her face.

"You're..." She whispered—I was barely able to hear it. "So hot..."

"Shhh," I shushed her softly, blushing a little at the comment.

Clem's eyes slipped shut and her expression fell—she was out cold, now. AJ and I sprinted through the woods, and after what felt like an hour of running...I saw the gates of the school appear through the trees. My breathing was ragged as my rib hurt like hell and my leg burned, but we made it to the gate. I didn't even wait for anyone to open the gate for me before I rammed it open—being careful not to hurt Clem in the process.

Everyone was in the courtyard, and all their heads turned...their eyes widened at the sight of AJ and I, and Clem in my arms. Everyone ran over as I almost fell, and Louis caught me by the arm.

"Ruby! Take her, now!" I begged, I was trembling and dripping with sweat.

"Y/N?! What—" Ruby stared down at Clem, taking her from my arms.

"Go!" I shouted, breathing heavily as I stood—using Louis as support. I finally looked down and ripped the shard of metal out of my leg.

Ruby nodded firmly and ran inside the admin building, Aasim following her as Omar, Louis, and Violet stood with AJ and I. I paced around the yard with my hands behind my head—tears streaming from my eyes as my stomach churned. I was worried sick, but god bless AJ for his thinking.

"What—what happened?!" Louis asked, trying to calm me down.

"She...she got bit—" AJ said breathlessly. "After you had to run."

"What?!" Violet, Omar, and Louis exclaimed.

"We found James' barn and–and we got inside, but walkers surrounded us," AJ continued to explain. "And she wanted us to leave her, but...before we could I cut her leg off. Y/N tore off her shirt and tied it around the wound so it wouldn't bleed too much."

"Oh my god..." Louis shook his head.

"Of all people...? Her..?" Violet asked.

I took a few deep breaths, barely able to calm down...but the adrenaline was starting to wear off and all the pain returned.

"Fuck..." I gripped my rib and keeled over, hissing in pain.

Louis pulled me off the ground and helped me to the dorm building, and AJ followed quickly. "You both have seen better days.."

"I don't give a fuck about myself," I snapped. "I want Ruby to take care of her."

"And she is," Aasim spoke up. "But Ruby wants someone to take a look at you."