15

February 2008

--

I had bought a house in Okinawa and found a job at the bakery just down the street in the first month I had arrived in Okinawa. I had bought a house near the beach to enjoy the clear waters, and its calm and tranquility.

I had also made a friend called Chiharu, she worked at the same bakery. I haven't touched my katana in the past month, although I still worked on my total concentrated breathing

"Y/n, have you tried the new matcha-flavored pastries? They're sooo good!" Chiharu exclaimed, presenting a tray of matcha flavoured pastries.

"Not yet, but I guess I'll try," I said, taking one of the pastries.

The sun dipped low over the horizon, casting a warm glow over the beach. Chiharu glanced toward the sea, a dreamy look in her eyes. We sat on the edge of the rock wall, our feet dangling in the air as the wind blew against our faces.

"I really wish I could visit Kyoto one day, my brothers all moved there," Chiharu said.

"Really? That's nice, why don't you go?" I asked.

"Ah, my grandparents are here, they need someone to look after them since they're getting old," Chiharu said, smiling sadly at the sea.

I nodded, "I really like it here."

"You just moved here though, right?" she asked.

"Yeah, I came from Tokyo."

"Why'd you come?" Chiharu asked.

"I came here once with my friend, and it was honestly the best experience in my whole life," I said, honestly.

Chiharu nodded, then she grinned, "Enough about that. Let's grab some shaved ice from that vendor down the street. It's the best, I promise!"

I laughed, "Alright. Let's come back here later if we have time?"

Chiharu jumped up, excitement in her eyes, "Sure! Let's go."

And so, Chiharu grabbed my arms and we ran down the streets with the sun setting behind us. As we walked through the narrow streets, the scent of street food filled the air. Chiharu led the way, and we reached the shaved ice vendor.

Chiharu chuckled, "Which flavour should we have? [F/n]?"

"Sure, why not?"

The icy treat was surprisingly refreshing. We finished it off quickly and went back to the beach. It was pretty dark now so we took a stroll for a while and left for our homes. Chiharu lived two houses away from mine so we were almost neighbours. I greeted the other neighbours as we walked back.

When I got home, I plopped on my bed and opened my phone. None of my friends from Jujutsu High and texted me. They were all probably too busy.