16

June 2009

I was practicing my katana skills in the forest near my house when I heard a little boy talk to me, "excuse me miss."

"Yes?" I asked the little boy with black hair.

"Your katana is so cool," he said, "can you teach me?"

"You mean you want to learn how to use a katana?" I asked.

"Yes!" he said.

"I guess I can teach you some, what's your name?" I asked. He said, "I'm Yuta Okkotsu, 8 years old."

"Okay Yuta-kun, I am Y/n L/n, but just call me Y/n," I smiled.

"Okay miss Y/n," Yuta said.

I passed him the katana and showed him how to hold it. For the next few weeks I showed him some basic moves, he was a fast learner.

On the first week of July, he told me, "Y/n-sensei, I'm going back to Tokyo next week, today might be the last time I see you."

"You're not going to come back?" I asked, squatting down to Yuta's level.

"I don't think so," he said, pouting. He looked like he was about to cry so I pulled him into a hug and patted his back.

"Yuta, I never asked you this but why did you want to learn how to use a katana?" I asked, holding his small hands in my hands.

"I want to protect my friend!" He said, smiling, "And Y/n-sensei too!"

I chuckled, "Thank you Yuta, that's very nice of you. Do you mind coming somewhere with me? I want to give you a gift before you leave."

"Okay!" Yuta said, I took his hand and we walked to my house.

"Is this your house Y/n-sensei?" Yuta asked.

"Yes, it is, would you like to come in?" I asked Yuta, unlocking the door. Yuta nodded and followed me in.

"I'll go get something," I said, taking my shoes off and taking a katana and bringing it out to Yuta, "Yuta, I was going to give this to you on your birthday, but I guess I'll give it to you now because you're leaving. I hope you'll continue to use a katana, you have a lot of potential."

I grinned at him and patted his shoulders, he looked up at me and extended his hands out to take the katana, "Thank you, Y/n-sensei."

"You don't have to call me sensei, I'm not your teacher anymore," I said.

"Thank you, Y/n."

"You're welcome, Yuta, it's getting late, you should head home now," I said as I walked him out the door and to the main street.

"I promise I will practice!" Yuta said, then he bowed, "Goodbye Y/n!"

I nodded, "Good luck, Yuta."

I watched as he walked away.