Chapter 16

Pain comes in many different forms...each is as painful as the others. We each react to pain differently, some of us can tolerate it. Others cry. But there's one form of pain that none of us can deny...death. Loss has a way of breaking even the toughest of people. I know because I saw him break.

That day...when he lost his best friend over 70 years ago, it was the hardest thing he's ever had to do. Loosing a brother or sister figure is tough...I couldn't bare to loose my brother. But Steve lost his best friend twice, once to gravity and the other to hydra. I could only imagine what he must be thinking, the five words of desperation 'I wish it was me' or worse 'I wish you were dead'

I crouched down next to a white car that had long since been abandoned by it's passengers, fleeing for safety. I knew I could take care of myself but the only reason I stayed was because of Steve. He told me to stay out of danger and I intended too. I could no longer see Nat, Steve or the Winter Soldier. Sam had his back to me shooting under the bridge. I knew he had our backs.

"What do we have here?" A snarl came from behind me. I turned to see three agents, all armed, walking towards me. Could this day get any better.

"I wouldn't touch me if I were you" I warned, unable to keep the smile off my face.

"You have no weapon, no tech, what are you without it?" The second asked.

"One bad ass, billionaire, genius who knows a thing or two about fighting" I said casually.

"And what does that make us? Stupid?" The third asked. In reply I punched the first in the face, kicked the second in the groin, grabbed his gun and shot all three in the head.

"That makes you a sorry ass son of a bitch who just got his ass kicked by a girl" I said, turning away and running up to Sam.

"Emily?! Are you okay?" Sam shouted over the sound of the bullets.

"I'm fine. I've got this, you get your ass down there and help Steve. That's an order" I shouted. Sam hesitated for a moment before handing me the gun and running to suit up. From my position on the top of the bridge I could see Steve battling with the Winter Soldier. I aimed my gun at the assassin and shot a round of bullets. I didn't do any damage but both men paused and looked up at me. Steve was horrified and the Winter Soldier furious.

"Emily! Get down!" Steve yelled throwing his shield at the stunned enemy. The Winter Soldier was knocked off his balance and turned back to him. I quickly ducked behind the bridge. All I could hear were grunts of the two men fighting. Suddenly all noise disappeared. I peeked over the edge to see the Wimter Soldier unmasked.

"Bucky?!" Steve panted in horrified shock.

"Who the hell is Bucky?" The man asked, aiming his gun at Steve who refused to move. Who refused to believe that his best friend was the Winter Soldier. It was then Sam knocked him off his feet. Natasha (who I could tell was wounded badly) shot a missile in his direction and just like that he was gone.

I couldn't help but gasp as I saw hundreds of Hydra agents, vans, helicopters surround them.

"Drop your shield out your hands in the air" Rumlow ordered. And he did. Natasha and Sam did the same. I dropped my gun and just stared in horror.

"Get on your knees" another man shouted pointing a gun at Steve. I could see his was shocked at first but then he looked at me. We made eye contact and he shook his head. 'Don't come. Please' he was telling me. I couldn't keep my eyes away from him. I covered my mouth with my hands and began to cry. Suddenly someone came behind me and put me in a headlock, holding a gun to my head. I screamed in surprise. It hurt, I could barely breathe.

"No. Let her go" Steve yelled getting up and running towards me, he's eyes wide. The man behind me moved his gun and shot me in my right thigh twice, one after the other. I screamed and Steve stopped in his tracks.

"Get on your knees. The next one goes in her stomach" the man behind me warned. I saw Steve's eyes spill over with tears as he got to his knees again.

"Emily" Steve muttered. The man behind me released his hold and I fell. There was no way I could put weight on my leg. It hurt to bad, I was loosing too much blood. I looked up and saw Steve crawling towards me.

"Steve?" I whispered. He was crying and nodding. Suddenly a man pointed a gun at Steve's head. "NO" I screamed but he didn't care. Steve stared down at me, not caring that he could die.

"Not here. Get in the van" the man ordered. The man behind Steve lowered his gun and shoved Steve away from me.

"I need to help her" he said but the man only sneered.

"She can walk" was all he said. I couldn't even sit up. I tried, I could sit but the second I moved my leg...the pain got too much. Walking was impossible. I didn't even realise I was crying until I saw the small drops of water on the road. I felt a tough set of hands pull me up roughly. I yelped. All eyes were on me...Natasha's, Sam's, hydras and Steve's. In two seconds I was in his arms.

"I've got you" Steve whispered picking me up bridal style and carrying me to the van, not caring that my blood stained his clothes. One of the men snatched my arm and cuffed it to Steve. Probably knowing I'd drag him down and they could use one of us against the other. They're evil but they're not stupid. Steve gently put me in the back of one of the vans and sat down next to me as Nat and Sam joined us, they were chained to each other as Steve and I were.

"Steve?" I asked.

"Yeah? He asked, wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"What's going to happen to us?" I asked. He gave me a small smile.

"I don't know. But whatever it is we're going to get through it together" he said pecking my lips.