Chapter 8

The two worst words in the world are "I'm sorry". They can have so much meaning behind them, each one is bad. When we were kids we didn't understand the significance behind those two words. What they really mean. Now I've grown up I wish I never had to find out.

We waited in the hospital, all of us in silence. I was the only one crying. I wasn't ashamed to let my emotions out, but I was saddened to think that everything we had. Everything that could have been and everything I cherished was all in vein.

Natasha had her head down, muttering things to herself, probably praying. I was never one to believe in prayers but given the circumstances I might reconsider. Maria was staring through the glass screen at her slowly drying boss, and Steve was staring blankly at the wall behind Nick Fury. I could see no hint of pain or fear behind his icy cold stare. Only pure anger and hatred.

I could tell from the muffled yells in the room and the running and the long and stares day best of the heart rate monitor that the Doctors were getting desperate. I turned away and almost jogged down the hall. I couldn't see Nick die. I could hear footsteps running after me and knew it was Steve. So I did the only thing I could to loose him, I ran into the girls bathroom and locked myself in a stall.

"Emily?!" I heard Steve outside but I ignored him. I could hear him knocking on the door, but he was too much of a gentleman to walk in after me. And for once, I was glad. After what seemed life forever I heard him leave. And that's when I really let my emotions out.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" I wept. That's all I could say. I was sorry I wasn't there for backup. I was sorry that I ever took him for granted. I was sorry that I couldn't save him. How would I break the news to Tony? How could I look him in the eye after everything that had happened between us and tell him the closest thing we had to family died right in front of my eyes. I could hear the door to the bathroom creak open. I quickly wiped away my tears and unlocked the stall. I could see a rather bulky figure in a black coat looking around. I ignored them and walked up to the mirror.

My face was red and blotchy from crying and my eyes were puffy. There was no way I could cover them. And I didn't want to. The figure who had entered the bathroom only minutes before froze and turned to me.

"What do you want?!" I snapped coldly, there wasn't even a little happiness or care in my words. They were as cold as ice. But that was the true me, and grief only brings that out. It was only looking in the mirror I saw the figures arm. It was shining. I looked away quickly and pretended not to notice but it was too late. The winter soldier had me cornered in the girls bathroom.

Silently he pulled out a knife and went to stab my heart. I only just got out of the way in time. I landed not so gracefully on the checkered tiles and gasped as all the air was knocked out of my lungs. I continued to roll as the winter soldier continued to stab. Each blow I narrowly missed until he scratched my arm. The first three drops of blood didn't seem real as they pooled on the white tiles. I barely had time to kick my legs out and catch him in the stomach. He staggered back and I quickly got up and ran. I grasped my wound as I ran and almost knocked Nat over who was standing at a vending machine.

"Emily?" She asked looking at me and then my arm. I quickly shook my head out of breath.

"Assassin..Bathroom...tried to kill me" I pant. Her eyes widen as she runs down the hall. I look at the vending machine and try to see what about it caught Natasha Romaoff's attention. Then I could see a glint of silver behind two packets of Hubba Bubba chewing gum. I recognised it instantly and dug around in my pockets for loose change. I found some and slipped the coins into the machine and punched the gum. The small spiral moved three times...one pack fell into the claims area. And so did the second. And finally the USB. I snatched the gum and the USB just as Natasha came back.

"Didn't see anyone but I did see blood" she said as I put a cube if gum into my mouth and began to chew.

"You believe me don't you?" I asked. She nodded once.

"I saw the knife marks" she said. I looked at her.

"How is he?" I asked instinctively, chewing the gum to keep me busy.

"Dead" she mumbled looking down. I only chewed the gum harder so I didn't burst into tears again. It was only then did Nat look at the vending machine. Her eyes widened.

"What's wrong?" I asked innocently.

"The gum...it's gone" she said shocked "there was a USB drive behind it Rogers hid. It's gone". I smirked and popped a bubble from my gum.

"If I knew you liked gum so much I would have saved you some" I said holding up the USB so she could see. She looked at it and smiled.

"Gimme a cube" she said. I raised my eyebrows. "Please" she added. I threw her one of the two packages and she put a cube of the pick stuff in her mouth.

"What do I do now?" I ask. She smiles.

"Now that's the easy part. We find out what the hells going on...teammate" she said. I couldn't help but smile as she held out her hand. I shook it.

"Teammate indeed" I said, the small sparkle of creativity and life returning to my eyes.