Chapter 7

Have you ever heard people say that everything happens for a reason? I've heard it too many times. I'm sure it does, but what I don't understand is some things have a pretty crap reason but they happen anyway. Sorry for the language but it's true. Some things just don't deserve to happen. This is one of those moments.

Whatever type of person I am I don't think I deserved this. I know I can be a brat...and a pain...and a trouble maker like my brother but is that any reason to loose someone? Nicholas J Fury wasn't a big part of my life, but he was still family. Family I lacked. And I lost him like that, in the blink of an eye. So the question I ask is if everything happens for a reason....what's this one?

It was at 9:00 PM I got the phone call. I was already asleep, my mind thinking about Steve as it always seemed to do now a days. That's when my phone began vibrating on the small wooden table next to me. I put down the book is given up readying and picked it up. I recognised the ring tone, it was 'Centuries' by Fall Out Boys. Only one person on my contacts had that ringtone. I quickly answered it and pressed it up to my ear.

"Emily" Steve said and I couldn't help but smile.

"Hey. What's up?" I said simply trying to hold in my feelings of mixed excitement and dread. Why was he calling this late?

"How would you like to come around my house?" He asked. I smiled.

"So you finally figured out how to use a phone just to ask me to come over?" I asked.

"That's the thing, I don't know how to use a phone. I'm using Nats. You see I got this new UPhone and I need help" he said.

"You mean iPhone?" I asked.

"That's what I said. UPhone" he said clearly confused.

"No, it's an iPhone" I said trying to hold in my laugher.

"Is that a yes?" He asked hopefully.

"Pick me up and it is" I say cheekily.

"Bring a jacket" was all he said before the line went dead. I quickly jumped out of bed and grabbed my phone, a hoodie and some sneakers. Every three seconds I looked out the window but all I could see in the dark was the street lights. And then he was there, sitting on his Harley. It was like he just appeared there. I scribbled a quick note to Sam who was sound asleep and ran out.

"Took you long enough" he said as I ran up to the bike.

"Shut up!" I said a smile plastered on my face.

"Get on and hold on tight" Steve said putting a helmet on my head. I didn't hesitate to get on the back of the bike.

"Hold onto what?" I asked as he revved the engine.

"Me!" He shouted as he sped down the street. I quickly wrapped my arms around him scared. Was he crazy?! It was only when we reached the city I looked up. The lights where so colourful and beautiful. I never knew the city could be this enchanting.

"Wow" I said in awe.

"This is why I like the 21st century so much. There's so much beauty in the most common of things" Steve said. He was right. I could see the old Stark Tower -now it was the Avengers Tower- and it was by far the most beautiful of all the buildings. I smiled and he turned back to look at me.

"Wow, you're eyes. They sparkle. But it's...it's not because of the light. They're full of wonder" he said. I blushed and loosened my grip around him.

"Eyes on the road old man" I said as he revved the engine again and continued to drive. Finally he pulled outside a building full of apartments. He cut the engine and I got off, my legs wobbly but fine. I took off his helmet as he got off and parked the bike. He then showed me up three flights of stairs to his place. There was only two apartments on this floor. His and a woman's. She was coming out of her apartment carrying a basket of laundry and on the phone. She waved to us as she balanced the laundry in one hand.

"Good evening Sharon" said Steve waving to her. Sharon waved back and hung up the phone.

"Hey Steve" she said looking at me.

"I'm Emily" I said holding out my hand. She smiled an shook it.

"I'm Sharon Carter" she said with a friendly smile. I liked this girl. Why couldn't she have been my sister in law to be instead of Pepper?

"It's a pleasure" I said and she nodded.

"Uh, Steve. I think you left your stereo on in there" she said, pointing to Steve's apartment. It was only then I noticed the loud music coming from inside. Steve's face turned serious in the blink of an eye as Sharon went downstairs.

"Stay close" he muttered. I nodded as he approached the door and very quietly opened it. He pointed to himself and then the closed window and left me alone. I knew what he meant. 'Im going through the window. Wait for me'. When I saw him slide open the window I quietly moved in. I saw him grab his shield as we went into the lounge room and saw Nick Fury. Steve lowered his shield.

"Sorry about this, but I had no where else to go" said Nick. He was badly beaten up and was in bad condition. He then showed us a screen on his phone. 'EARS EVERYWHERE'

"What happened?" I asked. Nick shrugged and winced.

"My wife kicked me out" he said turning the phone back around.

"I didn't know you were married" Steve said coldly.

"Not many people do. Only my friends" Nick said.

"Is that what we are? Last time we spoke you made it clear you hated my guts" I said. He laughed.

"You are like my family" he said to me turning the screen again. 'S.H.I.E.L.D HAS BEEN COMPROMISED'. I nodded once. That's when the bullets flew through the wall behind Fury and hit his back. Steve pulled me quickly behind his shield. I could hear the bullets bounce off the vibranium. When it was done Steve let me go. Nick was bleeding on the ground, half a dozen bullets in his back.

"Trust no one" he mumbled at Steve holding out a USB. Steve took it and looked out the window.

"Emily stay here" he said and ran out the door to catch the attacker.

"Emily..." Nick mumbled. I kneeled by him.

"Don't talk. You're hurt" I said but he weakly shook his head. He was slowly loosing consciousness.

"Emily" he mumbled again. I quickly stood up.

"You need help director" I said but he grabbed my wrist.

"I'm...proud....of...you" he mumbled loosing consciousness, his hand going limp.

"Director Fury? Director? NICK?! NICK!!!" I shouted in tears.

"Don't leave me you bastard. Don't leave me...please".