Epilogue

~Six months later~

"Steve" I groan not opening my eyes. Nothing. "Steve!" I groan louder. Still nothing. I open my eyes a little and immediately shut them again. How many times did I beg him not to open the damn curtains while I was sleeping?! I pull the covers up over my head and open my eyes again. I can still see the light through the sheets but it's better now. When it gets almost impossible to breathe I poke my head out. I can see! It's a damn miracle.

"He's a dead man" I grumble getting out of bed. Holy crap on a cracker it's cold. I put on my dressing gown and check the time. It's quarter to eleven in the morning. I stomp out of my bedroom and Into the living room. It's empty. I check the kitchen. There's a fresh stack of pancakes on the table but no sign of Steve.

I check the bathroom, not bothering to knock. Nothing. "Steve!" I shout again, getting a little worried now. That's when I see it, taped to my bedroom door is a note. I pull it off the door and read it.

Dearest Em

I'm sorry I didn't wake you. You looked so peaceful. And I'm sorry I opened the curtains, I was afraid you would forget. You tend to do that a lot. I'm sorry I couldn't be here, duty calls. I made pancakes that should last you a few days. I can't give you my coordinates or any details as it's too risky. It's just me on this mission. I called Tony and he promised to check up on you. You might want to remind him though cause he'll forget. You two are very similar like that.

I've never noticed this before but you're eyes...they sparkle like the most beautiful stars in the sky. Before I left I tried to draw them, but it never worked. Because you're eyes are too impossible to recreate. You always told me you and Tony had the same eyes but you were wrong. You're eyes sparkle with life and beauty and wonder. He just doesn't understand.

I don't know when I'll be back but I won't be gone too long. Try to stay out of trouble darling. I miss you already

I love you
Steve

Ps: I'll be watching the sunsets every day.

I rolled my eyes and folded up the note. At least he'll be watching the sunsets like we do every day. But unfortunately he won't be with me. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to see the pale pinks, blues and oranges dance I'm his eyes. Unfortunately I wouldn't hear his voice.

"It's so beautiful, it's the second most beautiful thing to come from the gods. The first is you" he said once. But every night he would mutter "I need to make an art of the sunset". He walkways wanted to illustrate it's beauty. But every time he tried he would get fustrated. As I massaged his shoulders to comfort him he would whisper "it's impossible"

"You'll find a way" I would whisper back. You're captain freaking America" I whispered back. That would calm him down.

I walked into my room and pulled out a box from my draws and rested it on the bed. I opened it and put the note inside. The box was full of notes, photos and memories of Steve. I sighed and closed the box.

"So it begins...again" I mutter with a smile.

The Winter Soldier and HYDRA wasn't the last of our issues but it was defiantly the one I will remember most. I chose to go out on a date...I chose to go out with Steve Rogers. I get told I was only using him for his reputation. And every time I hear that I say the same thing 'I fell in love with the soldier, not the serum'. That shuts people up fairly quickly. But in all seriousness, I promised myself I wouldn't fall in love. I lied. I fell desperately in love. Steve Rogers is my other half...he's my Star Spangled Man With A Plan.

By the end of the story, normally the main character takes something away. A life lesson if you will, that helps them live their 'happily ever after'. I did learn something even though my happily ever after won't be as simple as all that. Welcome to reality. I learnt that You don't have to be special, or super to be a hero. You just need a heart big enough and something worth fighting for. I won't lie, I'm still like my brother. I'm not the purest of people when it comes to my heart but I do have something worth fighting for. I have a reason to give a damn. I have Steven Grant Rogers, a man that is either too stupid or too smart to stay away from me. And for that...I am eternally grateful.