Chaper 23

The end. So dramatic. Often the ending to everything is either happily ever after or a tragic downfall that ruins everyone's lives. The ending to my story, this story, was neither. It was both at once.

~Emily POV~

I jumped put of the yellow cab, throwing the driver two hundred dollars and ran inside the tower. I knew that I overpaid but I didn't care. There was only one man I wanted to see right now. I ran past the elevator and up the stairs and there he was. Pacing the lounge room nervously. An unopened bottle of scotch sat on the table next to one that had almost been emptied. He was on the phone.

"Listen here. I don't care. She's my little sister! Either tell me something I don't know or find someone who can. I need her! Find me Emily Stark. Tell me she's alive" he was yelling into the phone, years of hidden tears running down his face.

"Tony" I mutter. He turned around to face me and dropped the phone. The small thing shattered but we didn't care. I ran up to him and pulled him into the biggest hug. Both of us crying and squeezing each other.

"Em...I thought I lost you" he whispered into my ear. This only made me cry more, which made him cry, which was no different from where we were now.

"Tony...I missed you. I love you" I sobbed. Since I was taller then him I had to bend down a little but it didn't matter. I may have been taller but he was stronger. He was crushing me but I didn't care.

"I'm so sorry" he sobbed "I didn't mean to get mad...I didn't mean to make you go away" he sobbed into my shoulder. I shook my head and buried my face in his shoulder, staining his black AC/DC shirt.

"No, I'm sorry. I should never have Run away. I should have told you...god Tony I'm so sorry" I whispered.

"It doesn't matter. You're home now" he said pulling back. He was already turning into the same old Tony Stark by the second. I smiled and opened the bottle of scotch.

"Can I pour you a drink?" I asked, already pouring some into two fancy glasses.

"You're going to need it" Tony warned, taking his and finishing it in one gulp.

"Why is that?" I asked taking a seat and sipping my scotch.

"Because you're the one that has to deal with Pepper" Tony said. I choked on my scotch.

Oh shit.

------------------

TWO WEEKS LATER

I take a deep breath and sit down. For the first time in a long time I'm free. I don't need to worry about saving the world, or running for my life. I'm finally free to be human, to be me. I open my book and start to read. It feels nice to be normal, to be human.

"So this is it, this is goodbye" says Steve, sitting next to me. I look up at him. He gives a smile and I move over on the bench to make room for him. He sits down next to me as I mark my page and close my book.

"It doesn't have to be" I say. Steve raises his eyebrows. I lean back on the bench and look at him. He clearly is as dumb as he is blonde....and adorable.

"See, there's this guy. He's really old and totally the worlds biggest moron. But I've fallen in love with him. And I don't know about him but I'm not ready to say goodbye to him just yet" I say. He smiles and looks down.

"Neither is he" he said. I smile and rest my head on his shoulder.

"So are you ever going to ask me out?" I ask staring at the sunset as it fell below the trees.

"How about coffee?" He asked. I smiled.

"It's a date" I say holding his hand.