Chapter 17

Sorry everyone. There is a chapter but instead if what I usually do at the beginning of every chapter I have a bunch of quotes I just have To share. The picture is from a movie and the others are from Instagram

"War. No matter who wins or looses for whatever the cause, war is simply inevitable" @modern.marvel

"Sometimes there comes an event in people's lives that influences them to make a decision that will set them on the path that their life is supposed to be on" @Black.Widow

"Sometimes a person is born a hero, they just need some help to reach their potential" @The.Vision

"Sometimes the event that happens is based on good intentions, but out of their control" 
@Bruce.Banner

"Sometimes it's a series of unfortunate events or encounters that can mould someone into the person they were destined to be"
@Tony.Stark

"Sometimes it's another person making a different call that leads a man to have the guts to do the same when he sees his orders as a waste of potential" @Hawkeye.Official

"We all have a choice and it's up to us to follow our hearts or go against it in the ultimate decision for the better good of all"
@The.Scarlet.Witch

"Are you sure it was him?" Natasha asked. Steve sat silently with me in the back of the van. His right wrist was pressed against my wound, trying to help stem the flow of blood. I could feel the pain, it was getting more intense. I could feel the two bullets stuck in my leg and knew that without medical attention this would only get worse.

"It was him, he looked right at me. He didn't even know me" Steve said, his head down focusing on my wound.

"How's that even possible? It was over 70 years ago" Sam said. I closed my eyes and tried not to show any signs of pain as Steve pressed down on the wound.

"Zola. When Bucky was captured with the 107th Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did must have helped Bucky to survive the fall" Steve muttered.

"They must have found him and---" I winced in pain and Steve loosened his hold on my leg.

"None of that's your fault Steve" Nat said, her eyes going out of focus for a split second. It was only then did I notice the blood dripping from her leather jacket.

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky" Steve muttered tearing off a piece of his jacket and tying it around my leg tightly.

"We need a doctor here, if we don't put pressure on those wounds both these girls are going to bleed out" Sam said, gesturing to me and Nat. One of the S.T.R.I.K.E agents drew their weapons and Sam fell silent.

"Don't you...dare lay one...filthy finger on...him...or I'll show you....a world of....pain" I panted, trying to come off as intimidating but I was too weak. The agent turned her weapon on the second S.T.R.I.K.E agent, knocking him out. We just stared in shock as the first removed her helmet.

"Hill?" I asked, staring at her in shock.

"That thing was squeezing my brain" she said looking around at all of us, finally looking at Sam. "Who's this guy?" She asked.

"A friend, my friend" I spoke up.

"Emily?! You're brother is worried sick about you" Maria said staring at me.

"I figured" I muttered leaning back, "who's driving?"

"A friend. We need to get out of here and back to base" she said starting to drill a hole down the bottom of the van. After three minutes of hard work she un-cuffed us and lead us out to a secret door. Steve helped to support me with the walking and Sam had Nat. Maria pushed at a solid bit of wall in one of the highway tunnels and the wall slid open to reveal a passage.

"Hurry" she commanded, leading us all in and down a set of passages where two doctors I recognised ran out to us.

"Hill, do you have them?" One asked.

"How many injured?" The second questioned.

"There's four of them, the two girls are wounded. One in the leg and the other in the chest" Maria said. One of the doctors reached out to me but Steve pulled me away, clearly not trusting the two men.

"Let us take them" one of the doctors requested but Maria shook her head.

"They'll want to see him first" she said. The two men looked like they wanted to put up a fight but reluctantly guided us through the labyrinth of underground hideout to a closed ward. Maria pulled back the plastic and I gasped.

"It's about damn time" Nick said with a weak smile.

"N-N--Nick?" I stuttered. One of the doctors, the second one, quickly sat me down before I had the chance to fall and silently started tending my wound. Taking out the bullets and stitching up the skin.

"In the flesh" Nick said.

"You son of a bitch. You scared me. You made me pity you...you sick bastard" I insulted, wincing as the thread and needle was jabbed into my skin yet again.

"Well it hasn't all been sunshine and rainbows for me" Nick said going on to list everything wrong with him.

"They cut you open, you're heart stopped. I don't understand" Nat said from another stool where the first doctor was treating her.

"I used a little failed experiment from Banner. Slowing the pause down to one beat per minute. He developed it for stress, didn't work out" Nick explained.

"Why all the secrets? Why not tell us?" Steve demanded coldly.

"Any attempt on his life had to look successful" Maria butt in.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead, besides I wasn't sure who to trust" Nick said simply.

"What about me? Or Tony? You're the closest thing we have to family" I said angrily.

"Don't think for one second that I don't feel the same about you and your brother. But it was safer for me and for you to lie" he said.

"Bullshit" I spat.

"Emily" Sam whispered in warning but I ignored him. I looked away from Nick Fury and felt the tears spill onto my lap. I didn't know what to think. Even though I hated Nick for what he did to me, what he put me through.

A small part of me way happy to have him back.