Chapter 2

Have you ever made a promise you knew you could never keep? Did you feel bad knowing about it and lying to their face? I didn't. What can I say, it runs in the family. My dad did it, my brother does it and I do too. Lying doesn't make us bad people, everyone lies. It's what you lie about that others judge us on. When I lied to Pepper I knew she wouldn't be mad, she would be furious.

Trouble is a weird thing. Some people never cause it, while others are drawn to it like a magnet. I'm one of the latter. Was it because of my looks? No. Was it because of my brother? Probably. Or was it because of destiny...I honestly don't know. I never believed in fate and destiny. Until that night.

The party sucked. There I stood in the corner playing on my phone. The dance floor was crowded beyond belief. Honestly, how did people find the room to move on that thing? It's not like I wasn't asked to dance. Three men all asked me if I wanted to get a drink with them, if I wanted to dance, if I wanted to blow the party and go to his place. Each offer I gave the same rejection. 'No thanks, I'm waiting for someone' and then I'd go back to my phone. At about midnight I got a call from Tony.

"Hey baby" he said as I held the phone up to my ear.

"Don't call me that" I snapped furiously.

"Sorry" he mumbled and I could tell he meant it. He never liked messing with me. Not if he could help it. Even in one of his iron suits I could beat his sorry ass in under a minute.

"What's up?" I ask taking a seat and drumming my fingers on the table.

"Just letting you know that Peppers in bed so you can come back now" Tony said. I let out a loud sigh of relief.

"Thank you. You're the best" I say. I hear him laugh on the other end of the phone.

"Am I expecting you home soon?" He asked. I laughed and hung up. He knew the answer. I got up and made my way to the door, I had to push past two girls dancing and an intense make out session from two drunk party animals.

"Emily" I hear behind me. I turn around and see a blonde man I'd never seen before pushing past dancing couples to catch up to me.

"Excuse me?" I asked, a little ruder then I originally intended.

"Your name is Emily...Emily Stark right?" He asked. He was very close, but that wasn't entirely his fault. He was being pushed towards me as I was being pushed towards him. His face was turning red, clearly he wasn't a ladies man.

"That depends on who's asking" I said. He smiled.

"I am" he said. Wow, this guy was very mysterious. I'm not sure if I like it or not.

"And who are you?" I asked. He looked down and avoided my gaze.

"Nobody" he mumbled. Well 'nobody' seemed to want something, and one wrong move on his behalf and I'd bury his nose in his brain. But he just stood there, staring at me so I stood there staring at him. It was awkward.

"Sooo....um..." I say to break the silence. He seems to snap out of whatever it was and looked away from me. I kinda wish I didn't say anything but I can't change the past.

"It was nice to meet you Miss Emily" he said backing away. Wait, was that all he wanted? I slowly unclench my ready fist.

"Don't call me that" I said after him.

"What should I call you then ma'am?" He asked.

"Call me Em" I say. He smiles and nods.

"Call me Steve" he says. I scoff. What an old fashioned name. Honestly is he from 1920 or something?! I nod and he walks off, still looking at me. It's then he bumps into a drunk woman. She smiles and pulls him onto the dance floor. I cover my mouth with my hand and begin giggling. She's got her back pressed to him and the moves she's doing could be counted as an offence. But the man...Steve...was still staring at me. He gave me a small smile and I waved. Then I turned around and began to walk to my car. I began looking for my keys but I couldn't feel them. Trust me to loose my brand new car keys.

"Looking for something?" Someone asked behind me. I turned slowly to see one of the men from before.

"Nope. I think I'm good" I say. He laughs and dangles my car keys in front of my face.

"Still so sure about that love?" He asked. I taught for a moment.

"Well now I'm looking for a good way to make you cry but other then that..." I trail off. He laughs and begins walking towards me.

"You're adorable when you're feisty" he says pressing me up against the wall. I roll my eyes.

"Runs in the family" I say. He laughs again. I can smell the drugs in his breath. That's when he grabbed my butt. Dick move (AOU reference intended). I squealed a little in shock and jumped. He laughed. I looked down at my shoes, the stupid heals Pepper told me to wear. I can't kick his ass in this. Lucky bastard, not so lucky for me.

"Help! Tony!" I shout but he violently presses his lips to mine. That's when he falls.

"I believe what the lady meant was back off" a man said behind me. I turned to see a black shadow holding a shield.

"Um...thanks?" I asked. He laughed.

"Don't mention it" he said and disappeared. So there I stood, not knowing what the hell just happened...I looked down and saw my keys.

"I'll take those" I say bending down and taking them, making sure to kick the man hard in the face. He groaned and I walked to my car. I sat in front of the steering wheel finally thinking about what just happened.

"Holy crap on a cracker" I mutter and start up the car. I was saved by some mystery guy...and I don't even know his name.

And I'm not sure how that made me feel