Chapter 18

The most realistic thing in this world is war. It's sad but true. There's world wars, civil wars, wars between family and wars between friends. There is no real winner in a war. Humanity will find that out the hard way

As soon as the doctor gave me the 'pass' on my leg I stood up and stormed out of Nicks ward. I couldn't look at him anymore. I didn't know where I was going but I just needed to put as much distance between myself and the others as possible. The footsteps echoing behind me seemed to have different ideas.

"Emily!" Steve's exhausted voice called behind me. I stopped and let him catch up to me, out of pity.

"I know what you're going I say" I say through gritted teeth as Steve wrapped his arm around me. Out of anger I shrugged it off.

"Oh really? And what would that be?" He asked.

"Emily, I know you're hurt and upset about Nick lying to you. I am too but we have to move on from that. For the team and for the world" I said, mimicking his deep voice.

"Yeah, okay that's what I was going to say" he admitted "but I don't speak like that".

"Yes you do!" I accused, allowing a laugh.

"Since when!" He said, his voice getting deeper.

"You're doing it right now" I said pointing to him. He smiled and in seconds the two of us were laughing. For a moment, I was happy. And then that moment ended. I remembered about Nick and a cloud of gloom circled above me.

"Look Emily, I know you feel betrayed. I do too...just keep your temper" he begged.

"Keep my temper?! Are you serious?!" I yelled at him. My sudden change of tone seemed to surprise him and he took a step back.

"Yes, millions of lives are relying on us and we can't do it without you" he said, his voice slowly rising in anger.

"Why me?" I asked back, my voice showing just how pissed off I was.

"Because one of it's first targets is your brother or perhaps you forgot" he yelled back.

"You know there was a time where I didn't give a shit about anyone other then myself. I miss that" I snapped storming off.

"What changed?! What happened?" He shouted after me. I turned around and stormed back to him.

"You happened" I yelled. He stood looking at me, clearly confused. "And I don't know whether to slap you or thank you" I said softer, almost in tears.

"So that's it? That's how you feel about everyone...about me?" He asked.

"That's not what I meant..." I muttered.

"Then what did you mean?" He asked softer, "how do you feel about me?"

"I don't love you, I just can't see a future without you in it. Does that make seance?" I asked, looking into his deep blue eyes. For the first time I saw them sparkle but not with joy or creativity, but with love and compassion.

"I know just how you feel, because I feel the same way" he said, stroking my cheek gently. It's seemed that his anger had vanished almost as quick as mine.

"Steve..." I whispered gently cupping his face. He rested his hands on mine and slowly pulled them off his flushing cheeks and held them tightly n

"The world needs a little bit of Stark" he said with a smile.

"And a little bit of Rogers" I said with a tearful smile. ((That's a reference to an amazing book you should totally check out. If you understand it, you're awesome))

"I need to call Tony...I need to tell him everything" I said pulling back.

"Emily...there's no time. I've seen him...he's heartbroken. Literally. All he does is drink and cry" Steve said. I gasped. It was hard knowing I was the one to break that perfect crooked smile of his.

"Oh no. What have I done" I said, looking down. I blame myself 110% for Tonys suffering. If I hadn't run off, if I returned at least one of his calls to tell him I was fine and that I loved him...maybe none of this would have happened and I wouldn't be feeling all this guilt.

"Emily, listen to me. You need to calm down right now Tony needs you" he said but I cut him off.

"He needed me weeks ago. He needed me to return his calls or visit or even say sorry" I said, working myself in hysterics.

"Tell him after we all make it out" Steve said calmly. He cupped my face and forced me to look up into his blue eyes. As soon as my brown eyes met his blue all my rage at myself, guilt, anger and disgust vanished. All I could do was stare and try not to get lost in his gaze.

"We make it out...." I mumbled, repeating what he had said. He smiled and nodded.

"That's right. Together. As a team" he said in a tone like he was talking to a child who had just had a tantrum for not getting it's way. I opened my mouth to say something as our lips got closer and closer. They were almost touching when...

"Rogers, Stark. Director Fury wants you" Maria Hill said walking off, the clicking if her high heels on the stone vanishing into a room I haven't had the chance to explore yet. Steve and I jumped apart and he cleared his throat awkwardly.

"His not my director" I muttered more to myself. I could hear Steve give a huff of laugher and I flushed red again. No one has ever made me blush more then him. Then dread and worry filled me again. He seemed to notice when he tilted my chin up with his knuckles and looked at me softly. I didn't dare look into his eyes.

"I'll be okay...we both will" he reassured me, taking my hand.

"You know, you've never asked me out on a date" I said  letting a tear fall. Steve wiped my tear with his thumb and smiles.

"I'll put it on the list"