| Part 40 |

Deep breaths helped Namjoon calm down. If he wasn't calm, he panicked, and with Jeon Jungkook on the other side of this door, he needed to be calm. His hand fell on the doorknob, cracking the door far enough to peek in. Sitting at a lonely table was a student with his head buried in his arms. Peeking in more, he didn't see any other students.

The room was so uncomfortably quiet—apart from the nurse typing at her computer—that he felt the need to walk lightly over to the student. The backpack leaning against the leg of the chair looked familiar enough. Namjoon sat across from him.

The sound of a chair moving caught the student's attention and he looked up slightly. 

Namjoon clenched his jaw when he met Jeon Jungkook's eyes. This guy transferred to LY Private Academy and did exactly what they were afraid of.  As much as he'd like to blame himself for not somehow preventing this through Sio, he knows it's not as simple as that. Jungkook also had a side to this story.

The more he stared, the more he wondered why Jungkook would do this. What does he get out of ruining schools' reputations? 

Or perhaps it's not his idea?

It wasn't time to speculate, however. Namjoon noticed Jungkook barely had any scratches on him compared to Sio. He did have some bruising on his cheeks but the damage was on his knuckles. They were bandaged and blood had soaked through already.

Jungkook's doe eyes widened as he asked, "Are my parents here?"

Namjoon flinched at the mention of them, "Uh...I don't know. That's not why I'm here."

Disappointed, Jungkook laid his head back down.

This wasn't what the president of the MWC was expecting. Both boys looked defeated and...regretful. Whatever happened must've gone deeper than a simple argument turning violent, especially since Sio isn't one to regret his actions.

He figured he stalled long enough, now was the time to figure out the truth.

"Jungkook, I was wondering if you could tell me what happened. I'm not trying to poke my nose where it doesn't belong- but I can help so that no one gets into excessive trouble." 

He spoke quietly, as if Jungkook were made of glass, and tried his best to appeal to the student he barely knew. When Jungkook lifted his head again to glare at him, Namjoon knew he said something he shouldn't have. "I don't care what happens. Just leave me alone."

"I want to, but Sio won't talk to me." 

Namjoon said this as if it were the strangest thing in the world. Jungkook squinted his eyes while looking anywhere but the other's face. "Are you friends with Sio or...?"

It dawned on Namjoon that Jungkook's voice was hoarse. It was obvious that he had been crying at some point.

"We're cousins, but we're close enough to be brothers, ha." The laugh was meant to ease the tension, but Jungkook only frowned more. 

Cousins?

The questions swirling in Jungkook's mind came to a halt as a memory resurfaced.

"Excuse me?"

Many preteens were mingling and making their way home now that school was over. They were extremely playful with one another- which is something Miss Y. Kim had to get used to. Driving to this public school every day would take some mental preparation. It'd be a piece of cake if her entire life hadn't changed so drastically. 

A mother of one becoming a mother of two overnight.

As soon as the teacher said goodbye, Jungkook ran through the halls to get outside. His tired breaths became white clouds in the chilly air. It took him a few seconds before he mustered up the courage to speak.