𝟐𝟎 | 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐎𝐧𝐞'𝐬 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟

~*~

A WEEK LATER

"So what's the deal?......"

He bites into his Ohagi, his eyes glancing over. "I went to see ya at your brother's estate......you don't live there now it seems...." finishing the small sweet, leaning his elbow on the table impolitely. ".....what happened, what's the reason?"

Drinking my green tea slowly, I almost choke in response to his question.

"Oh, well......I decided to....um...." tapping my fingers around the cup, the warmth being absorbed into my cold fingertips. ".....to stay at the butterfly mansion, and do some self practicing. You know, self-care........"

He eyes me skeptically for a few seconds, before sighing deeply with relief.

"Thought something happened," He narrows his eyes, with a gentle scoff. It was like he knew something, that I was completely unaware of. "Well, at least your under the butterfly mansions care. Best place to be, I guess........" taking another piece of Ohagi. "....is...Kocho taking good care of you, or ya giving her trouble?"

"Huh? I'm not, I make sure to aid her in my spare time!" I exclaim, feeling flustered by his sudden accusation. "Honest! Besides........I think she needs the company, after what happened," my eyes lowers in remembrance. "I can't imagine what she's going through, so I shouldn't complain."

"Tch, I'm messing with you..." He scoffs, before another pot of green tea was placed upon the tatami round table. Thanking the old man, I went to pour some more when Sanemi beats me to it. With a subtle pout I lean back, "......seriously though, what was the real reason...?" while pouring more tea in my cup.

My chest felt tight and heavy, "There's no other reason--"

"Cut the bullshit," He lowers his voice, to not disturb the customers around us. "When you lie, you fidget your fingers in a certain pattern......and your eyes remain narrowed.....so I'm not repeating myself...."

Taking a deep breath in, my hand finds it difficult to hold my tea cup.

"My.........big brother kicked me out," I admit quietly, my throat tightening. The silence was killing me on the inside, but right I didn't want to meet his eyes. He's pissed, and I don't understand why he is. "We had an argument, and--"

"He fucking what?" his voice was surprisingly quiet, but his knuckles were white from his grip around the cup, that it shatters.

My eyes widen in surprise as I meet his fierce gaze, staring into nothing with an intense look. Blood drips from his hand, but he doesn't flinch nor grimace in response to the pain. Soon one of the people that served us rushes over replacing the cup, quickly asking him if he's okay. He doesn't say a word, while I assure them it was accidental. It wasn't.

"What else did he say?" He calmly spoke, but his tone shifts to a more menacing undertone. His eyes finally flicker with the same piercing gaze, when they soften meeting mine. "He's your damn brother! He can't just--"

"I'm fine, I'm okay........" I assure him, but he shook his head and downs his tea instead. Wiping his mouth he grimaces with a deep exhale; running a hand through his disheveled hair over his eyes. ".....maybe it was for the best, I need to work things out on my own."

"Fucking dammit, you're lying again," He curses beneath his hot breath, with steam seething through his teeth with inner rage. "That explains the bruise, why Kocho insists that I stay away from him....why didn't I think about it? Oh Masachika, please give me strength....."

Biting into some strawberry mochi, my thoughts were invaded by the events that took place two weeks ago.

"Well anyway, it's done......" I state simply, swallowing my bite. ".....besides he's a Hashira, he's beyond my power to argue further. He's not the Ryuji I knew, and that's, that."