𝟐𝟒 | 𝐔𝐧𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐑𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧

~*~

"......I'm Kuragari"

The upper moon replies confidently, in an amused manner. 

He didn't seem to take our question seriously, especially when he's feasting on the grounds from our shrine. Our very own home, and the very people that lived at the foot of the mountain. Though his name was only changed as a demon, something was troubling my brother. His eyes said it all. Despite that we haven't had a proper conversation since he kicked me out, he saved me again? 

Brushing off that fact now that we're facing a dangerous threat, a direct subordinate of Kibutsuji the king of demons.

"Ryuji..........how did you--?"

"We'll talk after......" his voice brushes me off, noticing his breathing was uneven. 

It wasn't out of exhaustion feeling the tension thicken, and the air was stale with rotting corpses from the shrine a few metres upon the mountain. My body was aching from exhaustion, having to keep up stalling this demon and hearing his provocative insults. Never have I felt absolute defeat, and for a moment I accepted death. I couldn't even do anything to protect my team, and their dead because of me. 

I can't believe after standing up against him for hours; I've even considered death........

~ ~ ~ 

'Oi....dumbass.....' 

Lifting my head up Sanemi placed his hand upon my head, "Hmm, what is it?" my eyes gazed up, with confusion. His eyes met mine briefly, with a subtle frown while pouting.

'Come back safely, no matter the mission........' he grimaced at his own words, sheepishly. His cheeks tinged red, while he averted his eyes from mine. '.........I want to keep that promise, even Masachika would do the same for me......so....'

Both my hands reached up and rested over his upon my head, causing his breath to hitch.

"Are you growing sentimental, because of me?" I grinned teasingly, causing him to scoff not pulling his hand away.

He shook his head, "Shut up, I just.........I'm not getting all damn sentimental!" he spat, before finishing with a rumble in his throat in irritation. "Masachika asked of me to watch over your dumb self! That's all!!!"  acting defensively.

However for some reason I knew he cared, because he wouldn't be seeing me. 

Heck......he wouldn't have put any effort, but he did.....

Even on spare days where he could be going on missions, he would see me before leaving. His words were cruel and harsh, but I saw a side that I believe no one gets to witness. I'm grateful to him, to Masachika for saving my life that night and everyday that goes by........

"Yeah....yeah," rolling my eyes playfully, my eyes peeking up from behind his wrist. He glanced back down noticing his cheeks warming up, embarrassment seeping through his tough facade as always. "I can't make promises, but I'll try and live.....

~ ~ ~

Ryuji nears my ear, "Hayami, I need you to run," Ryuji instructs in a hush tone, whilst keeping his eyes on the demon. His larger upper body blocks the demons attention upon me, "Your team has been compromised, and I don't need you in the way--"

"N-No...."

"YES!!!!--" he harshly raises his voice, only to come to a stop.

"Something isn't right...." I spoke up, my throat becoming dry and raw. Swallowing thickly to a soft raspy tone, "......he's even familiar with this place, his voice sounds vaguely familiar and......that mark below his left eye....."