We Play Tag with Scorpions

~~~~~Y/N's PΩV~~~~~

 The next morning there was a lot of excitement at breakfast. Apparently around three in the morning an Aethiopian drakon had been spotted at the borders of camp. I was so exhausted I slept right through the noise. The magical boundaries had kept the monster out, but it prowled the hills, looking for weak spots in our defenses, and it didn't seem anxious to go away until Lee Fletcher from Apollo's cabin led a couple of his siblings in pursuit. After a few dozen arrows lodged in the chinks of the drakon's armor, it got the message and withdrew.

"It's still out there," Lee warned us during announcements. "Twenty arrows in its hide, and we just made it mad. The thing was thirty feet long and bright green. It's eyes—" he shuddered. "You did well, Lee," Chiron patted him on the shoulder. "Everyone stay alert, but stay calm. This has happened before."

"Aye," Quintus said from the head table. "And it will happen again. More and more frequently." The campers murmured among themselves. Everyone knew the rumors: Luke and his army of monsters were planning an invasion of the camp. Most of us expected it to happen this summer, but no one knew how or when. It didn't help that our attendance was down. We only had about eighty campers. Three years ago, when I'd started, there had been more than a hundred. Some had died. Some had joined Luke. Some had just disappeared.

"This is a good reason for new war games, "Quintus continued, a glint in his eyes. "We'll see how you all do with that tonight." "Yes..." Chiron said. "Well, enough announcements. Let us bless this meal and eat." He raised his goblet. "To the gods." We all raised our glasses and repeated the blessing.

I took my plate to the bronze brazier last and scraped a portion of my food into the flames. I hoped the gods liked chocolate cake and toast. (Yes that my breakfast, shush) "Nike," I said. Then I whispered, "If you could like....Help me with the whole Luke thing, and Grover's problem..." There was so much to worry about I could've stood there all morning, but I headed back to the table.

Once everyone was eating, Annabeth came over and dragged me and Chimera towards Percy's table. "Babe! we aren't allowed to sit at other campers tables" "Since when did you care about the rules?" "touché" she held my hand (oh, How lewd of her) and we went over to Percy's table and sat us down opposite to Percy and Grover.

"I'll tell you what it's about," she said as if we had been apart of the conversation from the start. "The Labyrinth." "Oh were talking about that now? Ok"

It was hard to concentrate on what she was saying, One because she so incredibly beautiful. two, because everybody in the dining pavilion was stealing glances at us and whispering. And Annabeth was right next to me at Percy's Table. "You two are not supposed to be here," Percy said.

"We need to talk," she insisted. "But the rules..." "Perseus Jackson, since when have we ever fucking listened to the rules?" the half-bloods normally had to sit with their cabins. I wasn't even sure what the punishment was for switching tables. I'd never seen it happen. If Mr. D had been here, he probably would've tried strangled Annabeth with magical grapevines or something, and I would've found a way to kill a god. but Mr. D wasn't here. Chiron had already left the pavilion. Quintus looked over and raised an eyebrow, but he didn't say anything.

"Look," Annabeth said, "Grover is in trouble. There's only one way we can figure to help him. It's the Labyrinth. That's what Clarisse, Y/N and I have been investigating." I shifted my weight, I honestly didn't like that place, no room to fly. "You mean the maze where they kept the Minotaur, back in the old days?" Percy asked

"Exactly," Annabeth said. "So...it's not under the king's palace in Crete anymore," Percy guessed. "The Labyrinth is under some building in America." Dumbass. Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Under a building? Please, Percy. The Labyrinth is huge . It wouldn't fit under a single city, much less a single building."