We Hire A New Guide

~~~~~Percy's PΩV~~~~~

A/N: I got rid of Calypso, so let me know if in the edit I forgot any parts where calypso is mentioned as being there or is talking. plz and thx.

 I didn't tell them the whole story. I just couldn't bring myself to talk about Calypso. I explained how I'd caused the explosion at Mount St. Helens and gotten blasted out of the volcano. I told them I'd been marooned on an island. Then Hephaestus had found me and told me I could leave. A magic raft had carried me back to camp.

"You've been gone two weeks." Annabeth's voice was steadier now, but she still looked pretty shaken up, she refused to left go of Y/N's hand, I swear his hand was turning blue. "When I heard the explosion, I thought—" "I know," I said. "I'm sorry. But I figured out how to get through the Labyrinth. I talked to Hephaestus."

"He told you the answer?" "Well, he sort of told me that I already knew. And I do. I understand now." I told them my idea. Annabeth's jaw dropped. "Percy, that's crazy!" Chiron sat back in his wheelchair and stroked his beard. "There is precedent, however. Theseus had the help of Ariadne . Harriet Tubman , daughter of Hermes, used many mortals on her Underground Railroad for just this reason."

"But this is mine and Y/N's quest," Annabeth said, but she took one look at the shaken up Y/N and turned back. "I need to lead it." Chiron looked uncomfortable. "My dear, it is your quest. But you need help."

"And this is supposed to help? Please! It's wrong. It's cowardly. It's—" "Hard to admit we need a mortal's help," I said. "But it's true." Annabeth glared at me. "Your a fucking idiot!" She went into the corner with the 5'5 Y/N in her arms to tend to his still bleeding head. I could tell she blamed me for that, to be honest I did have a plan at first, Y/N would use his super strength to plow threw all the weird hodgepodge creatures we were facing, obviously that didn't go as planned.

"We won't dwell on his choices," Chiron said. "he came back. That is what matters." Annabeth seemed to calm down and Chiron smiled. "In the morning I will have Argus take the four of you into Manhattan. You might stop by your mother's, Percy. She is...understandably distraught." My heart skipped a beat. All that time on Calypso's island, I'd never even thought how my mom would be feeling. She'd think I was dead. She'd be devastated. What was wrong with me that I hadn't even considered that?

"Chiron," I said, "what about Chimera, Grover and Tyson? Do you think— " "I don't know, my boy." Chiron gazed into the empty fireplace. "Juniper is quite distressed. All her branches are turning yellow. The Council of Cloven Elders had revoked Grover's searcher license in absentia . Assuming he comes back alive, they will force him into a shameful exile." He sighed. "Grover and Tyson are very resourceful, however and Chimera can protect them. We can still hope."

"I shouldn't have let them run off." "Grover has his own destiny, and Tyson was brave to follow him. You would know if Grover was in mortal danger, don't you think?" "I suppose. The empathy link. But—" "There is something else I should tell you, Percy," he said. "Actually two unpleasant things." "Great."

"Chris Rodriguez, our guest..." I remembered what I'd seen in the basement, Clarisse trying to talk to him while he babbled about the Labyrinth. "Is he dead?" "Not yet," Chiron said grimly. "But he's much worse. He's in the infirmary now, too weak to move. I had to order Clarisse back to her regular schedule, because she was at his bedside constantly. He doesn't respond to anything. He won't take food or drink. None of my medicines help. He has simply lost the will to live."

I shuddered. Despite all the run-ins I'd had with Clarisse, I felt horrible for her. She'd tried so hard to help him. And now that I'd been in the Labyrinth, I could understand why it had been so easy for the ghost of Minos to drive Chris mad. If I'd been wandering around down there alone, without my friends to help, I'd never have made it out.