Our Trio's Down To Two, Twice

~~~~~Y/N's PΩV~~~~~

I ate a depressing breakfast by myself at the Nike table. I kept staring at the fissure in the marble floor where two years ago Nico had banished a bunch of bloodthirsty skeletons to the Underworld. The memory didn't exactly improve my appetite. Neither did the memory of Charles's charred body but whatever.

After breakfast, Annabeth, Percy and I walked down to inspect the cabins. Actually, it was Annabeth's turn for inspection. Mine and Percy morning chore was to sort through reports for Chiron. But since we all hated our jobs, we decided to do them together so it wouldn't be so heinous.

We started at the Poseidon cabin, which was just Percy. he'd made his bunk bed that morning (kind of) and straightened the Minotaur horn on the wall, so he gave myself a four out of five. Annabeth made a face. "You're being generous." "I'd give it a 3 a best" I said, She used the end of her pencil to pick up an old pair of running shorts. "Ew"

he snatched them away. "Hey, give me a break. I don't have Tyson cleaning up after me this summer." "Three out of five," Annabeth said. I tried to skim through Chiron's stack of reports as we walked. There were messages from demigods, nature spirits, and satyrs all around the country, writing about the latest monster activity. They were pretty depressing, and my ADHD brain did not like concentrating on depressing stuff.

Little battles were raging everywhere. Camp recruitment was down to zero. Satyrs were having trouble finding new demigods and bringing them to Half-Blood Hill because so many monsters were roaming the country. Our friend Thalia, who led the Hunters of Artemis, hadn't been heard from in months, and if Artemis knew what had happened to them, she wasn't sharing information. 

We visited the Aphrodite cabin, which of course got a five out of five. The beds were perfectly made. The clothes in everyone's footlockers were color coordinated. Fresh flowers bloomed on the windowsills. Percy wanted to dock a point because the whole place reeked of designer perfume, but we ignored him.

"Great job as usual, Silena," Annabeth said. Silena nodded listlessly. The wall behind her bed was decorated with pictures of Beckendorf. She sat on her bunk with a box of chocolates on her lap, and I remembered that her dad owned a chocolate store in the Village, which was how he'd caught the attention of Aphrodite.

"You want a bonbon?" Silena asked. "My dad sent them. He thought—he thought they might cheer me up." "Are they any good?" Percy asked. She shook her head. "They taste like cardboard." I didn't have anything against cardboard, neither did Percy since we both tried one. know what? not that bad. Annabeth passed. We promised to see Silena later and kept going.

As we crossed the commons area, a fight broke out between the Ares and Apollo cabins. Some Apollo campers armed with firebombs flew over the Ares cabin in a chariot pulled by two pegasi. I'd never seen the chariot before, but it looked like a pretty sweet ride. Soon, the roof of the Ares cabin was burning, and naiads from the canoe lake rushed over to blow water on it.

Then the Ares campers called down a curse, and all the Apollo kids' arrows turned to rubber. The Apollo kids kept shooting at the Ares kids, but the arrows bounced off. Two archers ran by, chased by an angry Ares kid who was yelling in poetry: "Curse me, eh? I'll make you pay! / I don't want to rhyme all day!"

Annabeth sighed. "Not that again. Last time Apollo cursed a cabin, it took a week for the rhyming couplets to wear off." I shuddered. Apollo was god of poetry as well as archery, and I'd heard him recite in person. Even though his voice was like honey, I'd still rather get shot than do I myself.

"What are they fighting about anyway?" Percy asked. Annabeth ignored him while she scribbled on her inspection scroll, giving both cabins a one out of five. I found myself staring at her, which was stupid since I'd seen her a billion times. She and Percy were about the same height this summer, which wasn't really fair in my books, I haven't gotten any taller since The sea of Monsters. Still, she seemed so much more mature. It was kind of intimidating, but also extremely hot, especially in bed...what? I didnt say anything.