15- Pouring Rain

Mitch POV

"Mitch the screen just went blank! Please hurry!" Kyra screamed.
"He won't open the door! I'm trying to get a key from the lobby! I'm trying my best." I argued.
"Please hurry!!!"
"I'm trying!!!" I reached the front desk and in a panic, rushed to the front of the line.

"My friend is about to kill himself and he won't let me in the room." Tears streamed down my face and the strangers around me gave me sad looks.
"Here is the universal key. I'm sending security with you." How could he be so calm?

I ran up the stairs almost slipping in the process. Finally, I reached the fourth floor with sweat running down my face. I sprinted down the hall and jabbed the key into the lock. The door pushed open and Avi was sitting on the bed. I rushed to his side. He had an empty pill bottle in his hand.

"AVI NO." I shouted.
"I'm sorry..." He whispered and fell backwards.
"No..." I started crying hysterically, "CALL 911 DO SOMETHING." I yelled to the security. I sank to my knees and just sobbed. Kirstie rushed into the room.

"Mitch! Oh my god...." She sat beside me.
"I couldn't save him in time." I said between sobs.
"It is not your fault! You didn't know!"
"I wasn't fast enough." Kirstie raised my chin, forcing me to look up.
"Mitch this is not your fault. Okay?"
"Okay." I whispered. It's still my fault.

The security men carried Avi down stairs so the ambulance could help him faster. Can people survive overdoses?
"We should have listened to him." Kirstie said.
"What?"
"We shouldn't have forced him into things. Maybe he just needed time to heal."
"He might make it..."
"I doubt it. I can't believe he lived after the jump." Kirstie looked down, a tear shifted down her face.

"We should call the others."
"They already know, Kyra was screaming at me through the phone."
"Let's just get to the hospital. Alright?"
"Alright."

Rain poured down as we got into my car. Could this day be any worse? I drove to the nearest hospital with my eyes still blurry from the tears. I kept trying to tell myself that he'd be alright, but he never would. I heard horns behind me and snapped out of my thoughts. Remaining completely focused on the road, I pulled into the parking lot.

"I can't do it." Kirstie turned towards me.
"Can't do what."
"I can't go in there. What if Avi doesn't make it? What happens to Pentatonix?"
"Kirst we have to go in there to support him. Let's worry about that later."
"What about Kyra and the others?"
"I'm sure they are rushing here. Let's just go in."

We walked slowly through the rain. I was already a mess, at this point it is hard to get worse. As we entered the building the rain poured even harder. Great, just the perfect weather. I went up to the front desk. "Do you have any information on Avi Kaplan?"
"What's your relation to him?"
"He is my band mate." Or was....
"There is no information right now but we'll let you know."
"Thank you." The receptionist nodded.

I sat down next to Kirstie and a random girl around or age. "Mitch what if he doesn't make it." She burst on in the tears.
"Come here Kirst." I pulled her into my lap. I'm trying so hard to stay strong, but I feel the same way as Kirstie. She sobbed into my shoulder as I rubbed her back.

"Hey aren't you two from Pentatonix?" The girl sitting next to me asked.
"Yeah, this is a really bad time. I'm sorry." She looked away.
"I understand, what's wrong?" Her green eyes gazed into mine.
"Our friend just tried to kill himself."
"That's horrible. I can't even imagine what you're going through right now." I smiled weakly at her.
"Why are you here?"
"The doctor thinks I have cancer. They are testing me today."
"I'm so sorry."
"It's okay. It happens. I'm Aubrey by the way."
"Mitch." I smiled softly.

The doors opened and a soaken Kyra, Scott, and Kevin entered.
"I am never letting you drive again." Scott said to Kyra.
"I'm sorry I'm just nervous."

"Hey guys."
"Hi. Kyra sped down the highway as quick as she heard what was happening." Kevin said.
"Did you hear anything?" Kirstie had stopped crying and I shook my head.

"Avi Kaplan." A doctor near the front desk called.
"Sorry Kirstie." I pulled her off of me and went up to meet the doctor. Kyra followed me.

"Mr. Kaplan overdosed on antidepressants. We were able to stabilize his breathing and heart rate but he is not fully awake. Overdoses tend to reduce the conciousness of its victims. Fortunately, he was saved just in time because the pills did not reach his blood stream which would essentially poison him."

I breathed a sigh of relief, "Thank god." Kyra smiled beside me.
"Do you have any reason to belief this was intentional?" The doctor asked.
"Yes, this was his second suicide attempt."
"Has he overdosed before?"
"No he tried to jump of a bridge." I shuttered at the thought.
"We are going to have to keep him on suicide watch for at least a week. At that time he is allowed to have visitors. No more than two at a time please."
"Thank you so much." The doctor swiftly exited and Kyra held me tightly. "You did it Mitch." She smiled.

What if he didn't want to be saved?