Kabanata 8

KABANATA 8

Atasha's POV

As the doors to the large room where the party was held swung open, we were immediately greeted by the relaxing sound of Latin music. We saw people grouped, chatting, and whispering while holding their glasses of alcohol. The guests were dressed formally, well-known businesspeople from different parts of the Philippines. There were also waiters circulating, carrying trays filled with champagne.

The room was filled with round tables of just the right size, where some businesspeople gathered to talk. The air was filled with a mix of expensive perfumes, enhanced by the large chandelier hanging in the middle of the ceiling. There was also a large stage at the front with a screen monitor displaying the images and names of the de Marcels company.

As we stepped into the center, our presence immediately caught the attention of the people present. They turned and smiled before some businesspeople approached Elias to pay their respects. Elias didn't hesitate to pull me to his side, especially as it was mostly male businesspeople coming up.

"Mr. de Marcels, it's a pleasure to see you," an elderly businessman greeted, extending his hand to Elias.

"I'm delighted to see you too, Mr. Consuales," Elias replied, shaking the man's hand.

The businessman looked at me, scanning me from head to toe. "You must be Ms. Atasha Celestine? The owner of La Cucina Celestine?" he asked before reaching out his hand. "It was nice to finally meet you, Ms. Celestine. The rumors are true, you are indeed charming."

"I am also delighted to meet you, Mr. Consuales. It's nice to know that you are aware of me," I replied with a smile, accepting his hand, which made Elias cough.

"Of course, especially since you are linked to the de Marcels," the old man continued with a smile. I wanted to retract my hand, but I felt his touch, prompting Elias to quickly take the man's hand and pretend to shake hands. "When is the wedding?" he asked directly. "I'm sorry for the direct question, but I've heard that your relationship has been long-standing, perhaps you have plans, don't you?"

Elias coughed again. "Asking about personal matters is not part of this gathering, is it?" Elias asked firmly, wiping the smile off the old businessman's face.

"Ah, yes. You're right. I apologize, Mr. de Marcel. I was just wondering why you don't seem to have any plans to marry Ms. Celestine. She might get taken by someone else over time—"

"Excuse me," Elias quickly cut him off and swiftly pulled me away from that place.

Elias pulled me away until we reached the farthest part of the room, where there were few people. When he let go of me, I felt his irritation, and I just sighed and shrugged.

"Is there a problem?" I asked casually.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Shang, I don't like that? I almost punched Mr. Consuales when he held your hand," he said, trying to control his anger.

I sighed and gave him a look full of doubt. "Is it really because of that, Elias, or is this related to the marriage issue?" I asked directly.

He became even more irritated. "Shang, please. Let's not start this now. We are at a gathering, so let's put this aside for now," he said.

"Fine," I replied shortly before walking away and grabbing a glass of champagne from a passing waiter. I raised my glass in the air and interacted with other guests. "Cheers!" I happily greeted.

Pasulyap-sulyap ako kay Elias, at nakita ko kung paano niya ako tinitigan ng masama. Kahit medyo may layo, kitang-kita ko ang pagkakasalubong ng kanyang mga kilay at ang malalim niyang paghinga. Inilagay niya ang kanyang kamay sa kanyang baywang at umiling bago siya tumalikod. Sinundan ko siya ng tingin habang naglalakad siya patungo sa isang pinto sa kanan.