𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓

Ivy Jane Hyde

Ivy Jane Hyde

"Dad!" I shouted above the roar of the waves as they dragged him back onto shore, his surfboard washing up next to him. "You fell, idiot! I win!" I laughed.

With a grin, my dad retrieved his surfboard and swam back out to join me, eager to try catch a wave to prove me wrong.

"I did it on purpose... Can't have me showing you up, Ivy Jane," my dad teased, his tone playful. "What kind of father would I be to let his daughter lose?"

"Excuse me!" I playfully shouted, a mischievous glint in my eye. "You're the one who's been surfing for 40 years, as you always say and I beat you end of." I pushed him gently, and my dad pretending to lose his balance, tumbling under the sea with a splash.

"Fine, fine." His laughter mingling with the sound of the waves. "You're young you have advantages, I'm getting old now."

"Excuses, father," I teased. "You just can't admit that I'm the better surfer." The banter between us filled the air with laughter.

"Dad, no, no!" My father lay on the floor, and without hesitation, I collapsed at his side, my hands trembling as I tried to apply pressure to the wound, desperate to staunch the flow of blood.

My voice croaked, and heartbroken cries escaped from my lips, echoing across the air strip as I clung to my father, my world crumbling around me with each passing moment.

"Please, please," my voice was strained, but a faint smile played on his lips. "Someone, ring a fucking ambulance."

Looking back at everyone, Ward was on the phone, each word he spoke sending a chill down my spine. "Officer, I'd like to report a crime," he said A few moments hung still in the air, the weight of his words sinking in like a leaden anchor.

"My son, Rafe Cameron, he just shot the sheriff," Ward continued, his voice betraying no hint of remorse. My jaw dropped in shock, how could he betray his own son like this?

"He's unstable and out of control, hurting anyone in sight," Ward went on, his words a damning indictment of his own flesh and blood.

Rafe was now in hot pursuit of Ward, who had quickly boarded the plane. "Fuck," Rafe cursed, his fists clenched in fury as he was restrained by JJ. "I'm gonna fucking kill you, Ward. I will," he vowed, his entire body shaking with uncontrollable rage.

"It's not worth it, Rafe," JJ urged, his grip firm as he held Rafe back from reaching the plane, which was now gradually moving away. "She needs you, man... She needs you." he emphasised.

Glancing towards John B, I saw him speaking urgently on the phone to the operator, his voice laced with desperation as he pleaded for help.

"Dad, please stay with me," I pleaded, clung to my father unwilling to let go. "Help is coming. You're gonna be okay," I assured him.