Strut

Scarlett woke up at the sound of her phone. She turned around in her bed to finally shut off the loud alarm. Her parents had just recently moved to North Shore, and today would be the first day of high school.

Scarlett was not pleased. She was used to the busy streets of New York, the big metropolitan city. It is filled with yellow taxis and the buzz of many people strolling around. That also came with people who meant business, always busy and not pleased with the laid bag attitude of poor nobodies. 

Somehow, Scarlett just knew things would be boring real fast in this small town. She had seen the suburban streets, it wasn't much really.

Her alarm had stopped ringing, telling her to get out of bed already, as she did. As she rose, she put on her red velvet slippers, not wanting her feet to get cold by the floor. She had already laid out her outfit for today, sparing her some time. The girl had chosen a simple black tee with a burgundy Prada blazer over it. The blazer matched her Prada loafers perfectly. Topping the outfit off with some pantaloons, she walked over to the bathroom to do her makeup. She could spend hours on her skin care and makeup, perfecting the look every time.

It wasn't that Scarlett was insecure about her looks, the reason she spent so much time on her appearance. She had found her love for perfecting her image in New York. She would get noticed by all kinds of people, getting compliments several times a day. It would make her feel appreciated and seen, so she kept doing it. Eventually, she also realized that she did, in fact, look really good.

As the time hit 7:30am she knew it was time to go downstairs for some breakfast, her mom had already prepared her some yoghurt, topping in it with raspberries and a few slices of banana, her all time favorite. She used to get a yogurt bowl like this almost every morning in New York. Scarlett had unintentionally walked upon this place one morning in a rush, and ever since, she visited it quite frequently.

Her mom knew how much she protested against moving to a small town, therefore trying to make it up to her by doing these small things. "Thank you, mom," Scarlett mumbled between spoons of yogurt. For the first time that morning, Scarlett opened her phone. Tapping on the pink ish Instagram logo, opening the app.

She quickly typed in the North Shore page, trying to see if there was any activity.
The varsity football team had uploaded a story. All of the guys yelling and throwing their hands up. "Are you guys ready for the first day back!!" It had quoted.

Scarlett huffed, typical.

Time was now 7:45am, time for her to leave. Her classes started at 8:15am, and she wasn't in the mood to run late, at least not on her first day.

Her drive to school took a short 15 minutes, enough to take some time for coffee at Starbucks.
Scarlett owned a black Mercedes G-wagon, but living in New York caused her to not drive that often. That would change quickly in this town, where everything took up at least a 30-minute walk.

She dreaded it, really.

Ordering her everyday Oat-milk iced latte, she drove to school, Starbucks cup in hand. Scarlett really had to mentally prepare herself. She did not experience nerves. She was just done with everyone already.

Slowly, the parking lot started to get full, cars entering one by one. Fortunately, he left a perfect spot for the girl in her Mercedes. Handbag in hand, Starbucks cup in the other Scarlett started to strut.

The first thing she noticed was how utterly grey the place looked. Not only the building itself but the people as well.

"Kind of really boring if you ask me, Jezus," she thought to herself.

As the doors opened and the inside of the building revealed itself, she was met with the chaos called school. Jocks were running around the halls, and the bullies shoved little kids against the lockers one by one, almost taking Scarlett with them but missing her by a hair.