chapter twenty-four

HEAD OVER HEELS
SHAYNE TOPP

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
"I COULDN'T WISH FOR ANYONE BETTER"

°°°

SHAYNE nervously tapped his foot on the floor of brooklyn's living room.

"why are you so nervous?" brooklyn asked as she set out three plates on her dining table. "my mother is going to love you."

"i'm still nervous no matter how many times you tell me that." he said as he stood up.

brooklyn patted his shoulder. "you'll be okay. i promise."

a rhythm was knocked on the door and shayne felt his stomach tighten. "come in mommy, no need to knock."

he heard a laugh errupt from the other side of the door that sounded so much like his girlfriend. brooklyn's mother walked in and shayne was shocked by how much brooklyn looked like her.

they had the same laugh, same smile, and the same eyes that lit up any room.

brooklyn ran to hug her mother. "mommy, this is shayne. shayne, this is my mom!" brooklyn introduced.

"it's wonderful to meet you, ms. harper." shayne said.

"oh, please, call me ellie." she said, opening her arms for a hug, which shayne took her up on.

"sorry to keep you up on a weeknight." ellie said as she sat at the table.

brooklyn shook her head and smiled. "it's all good. we have a busy weekend anyway."

"i bet." ellie smiled. "how soon are you able to move?" she asked, looking around at the untouched home.

"in a few weeks." shayne answered.

"and when do you start working, brooklyn?" ellie asked. brooklyn sat a pot of spaghetti onto a pot holder sitting in the center of the table.

"i start monday, so it's gonna be a crazy time in our lives for a little bit." brooklyn explained as she sat down.

"you're gonna kill it." ellie smiled. "so, shayne. i wouldn't be doing my job if i didn't interrogate you." she smiled. shayne laughed.

"i'll go with the classic. what are your intentions with my daughter?" ellie asked.

"mom." brooklyn jokingly rolled her eyes as everyone began digging into the spaghetti she made.

"well, my intentions are to love your daughter and see where life takes us." shayne answered.

ellie smiled. "you've got a good job, from what i hear you very good to my girl, and you're quite handsome." she said, winking at brooklyn. "i really have no reason to not like you."

"thank you, ellie." shayne said.

the three ate dinner with flowing conversation. ellie asked shayne more questions, told embarrassing stories about brooklyn, showed him old pictures, and laughed harder than she had in a long time.

brooklyn suggested they play a game and took out uno. after a few rounds of that, with shayne and ellie seeming like they have known eachother longer than a few hours, brooklyn began making drinks. while she did this, shayne and ellie sat in the living room.