the Rose kids have mommy issues - AU1

=3 The whump will continue
TW: Child abandonment, trauma, breakdown

btw, it's my birthday month! So, I'm probably still gonna be scouring the internet for any of my rarepairs or fave characters to whump (tag me if you find/make anything! lmao)

Knock

It's hesitant and weak, as if the person who knocked on the door had shaking hands. Amy perked up from her manga, glancing at the door. She wasn't expecting anyone, so it was odd.

Maybe it was Rouge or Chiffon (if Knuckles or Liam had a date she didn't know about. Maybe it was Crumbs for a playdate with Miguel. Maybe Sonic was paying a surprise visit. Either way, she didn't know.

Knock

The second knock made her realize she wouldn't know until she opened it. She got lost in her mind like that, she realized as she stood up and set the book down on the couch. She walked over to the door and opened it.

"He-"

Amy Rose immediately slammed the door shut.

No.

No.

No.

This was not real. It couldn't.

She staggered away from the door, staring at it like she was still standing there. Knuckles looked into the room. "Amy? Who's at the door?" He asked.

Amy didn't answer, stepping away further. It was like she didn't even hear him.

Knuckles furrowed his brow in confusion and went over to the door.

"Knuckles, don't." Amy demanded, her voice accidentally cracking.

He looked back to her. "Amy, what are you talking about?" He stared at his adoptive sister's mortified stare. "I'll just tell them to go away." He sighed, opening the door back up.

He looked at the woman at the door and paused. This woman looked much Amy and her brother Miguel. What, with the pink hair, darker skin, and the jade eyes that glanced away to not meet his gaze.

"Good afternoon. I'd like to speak with Alexander Rose... it's important." She mumbled, ignoring Knuckles opening his mouth to ask her to leave. Without another word, she stepped past him and into the house.

Amy stared at her mother.

"Get out. Right now." She said, her voice shaking more as her horrified expression turned into one of pure rage. "If he sees you, and he gets upset, I'll-"

"Amelia, please, don't cause a scene."

That was what this woman- this bitch always said to her during her breakdowns as a child ('As a child'? By Gaia, she was still a child!).

"I don't CARE if you don't want me to 'cause a scene', Miguel does not need to see you!" Amy protested, pointing to the door. "So get out!"

Ailinda sighed. "I just need to speak to your father. This is about Miguel." She said, crossing her arms. She didn't even need to wait for Amy's father to be brought over. Alexander heard the talking and stepped into the room.

"Amy, what's..." He trailed off, looking at Ailinda with a malice Knuckles had never seen. "Ailinda."

She nodded at him. "Alexander." She glanced over to Amy. "Amelia."

Then, he stepped into the front room. She smiled at him, her face brightening. "Miguel!" She beamed. She rushed over to the child, trying to open her arms in a hug.

Miguel backed away.

Ailinda's face fell. "Miguel..." She repeated, her voice soft and concerned in a way Amy never heard when she was young.

"Get away from him, and get. Out." Amy demanded again, her voice still shaking.

She sighed, standing back up and looking over to Amy and Alexander. "About that... Alexander, I'm going to try and take Miguel back."

Miguel stared up at her. "What..."

She smiled at him again. "Yes, sweetie, I'm so, so sorry that I left you, but your mom is here now and this time you're stay-"

"No!" He shouted, retreating further into the hall. He pulled the hood of his raincoat over his head, covering the top half of his face. "Go away!"

Alexander stepped closer to Ailinda. "Listen, you can't just come back two years after leaving him here and just decide you can take him back!" He protested, staring at her in disbelief.

Ailinda looked at her ex-husband. "No, no, you don't get to keep me away from my child. I know that I messed up, I was in an awful place!" She said, gesturing the Miguel. "But I am ready to be a mother again, so I'm taking my child back."

Amy just stared. She didn't even exist to her "mother." She was ready to be a mother, and she didn't even try talking to her? Her daughter? Her first kid? The child she abandoned first.

"Are you serious!?" The girl screamed, clenching her fists. "Yo-you don't get to do this! You don't get to abandon your kids and then think you can take my brother!?" Knuckles placed his hand on her shoulder, trying to pull her back.

"Amelia, you were nine, you can't continue to be so caught-up in my mistakes." Ailinda pleaded, seeming more irritated than sympathetic.

"Oh, really!? Because 'your' nine-year-old seems to remember just fine!" Amy argued.

"Amelia Laura Silvia Rose, you do NOT get to speak to your mother this w-"

"YOU'RE FUCKING DELUSIONAL IF YOU THINK YOU CAN CALL YOURSELF MY MOTHER."

The room was silent, besides Amy's broken breathing.

"D-... Do you even realize what you're doing by being here...?" Amy forced back a sob. "Th-this is what happened two y-years... two years ago..." Tears brimmed in her eyes.

"You... you don't get to abandon your kids then for-force them to forgive- forgive you..."

Knuckles grabbed her arm, carefully pulling her into a hug.

Alexander looked at Ailinda again. "Get out of my house, and don't come back. You can't seriously believe the courts will give you Miguel back." He said simply, pointing to the door.

Ailinda took a deep breath, closing her eyes. "It's not my fault..." She said quietly.

"Keep telling yourself that. That won't make it true."