Nightmares///Oneshot///Hurt-Comfort

Characters:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Miles "Tails" Prower

Trigger Warnings: Nightmares and fear of abandonment

AU: Classic

Tails didn't mean to wake Sonic up, but the four-year-old's cries were something that seemed to summon Sonic from any kind of sleep.

The night was dark and the forest the two had camped out in for the night had scared Tails. By the time he was asleep, scary thoughts had bubbled in his mind, turning dreams into a nightmare.

Sonic had awoken and scrambled to a sitting position, looking around quickly and assessing the campsite for any threats. When he realized that there was no threat he could see, he turned his attention to Tails. Sonic turned a nearby flashlight on, illuminating the small tent with brightness. The shadows of the trees spooked Tails further, making his namesakes fluff up and wrap around himself protectively.

Sonic placed the flashlight down, making sure the light didn't shine right in their faces. Tails looked up at his brother, his eyes shiny with tears.

The Hedgehog signed, 'Did you have a bad dream?' Tails sniffled a bit and nodded. Sonic reached over and carefully ruffled the Fox's hair, something that typically comforted the younger.

Tails smiled faintly, purring a bit. He inched closer to his brother and leaned on him. Sonic continued signed, 'Do you want to talk about what happened in it?'

The kit shook his head, rubbing his eyes. "No, I'll be okay." He whispered. Sonic nodded in understanding.

"I don't like these forests. They're creepy." Tails admitted, shivering a bit. He was happy that they'd gotten the tent a week ago, and it had made him feel safer. However, the darkness of the tree shadows seemed to encroach on the brothers. Sonic nodded in agreement. He didn't like these woods any more than Tails did.

Sonic hugged his brother tightly, holding him close. "I was scared you left me... for a minute." He heard the Fox mumble. The Hedgehog froze up a bit. He looked down at him quickly, hur eyebrows furrowed.

Tails was staring off at nothing in particular. "It was... dark," he continued. "I couldn't see you, and I must've rolled over a bit. When I reached for you, it was like... you weren't there." He glanced at Sonic for just a moment, looking away in something that seemed like shame. "I was scared that you left."

Before Sonic could respond, Tails forced a nervous laugh. "But you'd never do that." His voice became weak, almost inaudible, as he whispered, "Right?"

The older leaned his head onto the side of Tails'. The Fox, smiled hesitantly. Sonic pulled his away a bit, letting him face him. 'I'd never leave you.' He signed, then booped his brother's nose.

The two sat in silence holding each other close. The shadows of the trees seemed a bit less scary, almost like they were shielding them instead of trapping them. Sonic looked down at Tails, seeing the kit was fast asleep again. He felt the Fox purr, shivering quietly.

Calm. He just felt calm.

(A/N: Hi, I just found out that foxes can purr, so please sleep well knowing that =D)