How Sonic Met Tails in My Hybrid!AU Part 3

Miles let out a small whimper. "They're..." he took a moment, doubtful if he should say. "Gone." Sonic felt his heart drop. He sighed, not quite knowing what to say. He knew what it felt like to lose loved ones, especially losing them young.

It was horrible.

Miles looked down, feeling guilty about bothering Sonic. He never liked when people felt bad for him, since it always bad him feel like it was burdening them.

Sonic managed to feel a bit of hope; perhaps Miles had an aunt or uncle, maybe grandparents, taking care of him. "Alright, buddy, how about this? I'll bring you home and make sure everything's alright there." He suggested.

The Fox's mood managed to lift as he nodded. Taking the Hedgehog by the hand, he led him over to the other side of the neighborhood. Sonic wondered how Miles had managed to get himself all the way to where he had first seen him. Didn't seem normal for a kid that young to just walk all the way there, and no one asked why he was all alone.

Soon, they made it to a more disheveled street. Miles led him to a house. It was worn, practically falling apart. The steps leading to the door were cracked and overtaken by weeds. One of the windows was shattered, the glass from what used to be scattered across the grass beneath it. The roof seemed to be sagging as if weighed down by air.

Sonic didn't mean to judge, but how could he not when a child was living in those circumstances?

Miles opened the unlocked door and brought Sonic inside. The house was small, with only three rooms, and there was hardly any furniture: a few tables, a couple of chairs, and a battered rug. Broken pieces of metal and wires, tools, and small machines scattered across the wooden floor. Miles seemed proud like it was all enough for him.

Sonic looked at the front room, his ears tucking down slightly. "Miles, do you live alone here?" He asked carefully. The Fox nodded, and sighed quietly. There was a bittersweet feeling in his heart, "It's all enough." He whispered.

Sonic shook his head. He wanted to scream. No kid deserved this. It wasn't fair.

How could this happen to a little kid?

It was cruel.

Sonic knelt down, putting a hand on Miles' shoulder. "Miles, buddy, this isn't alright. You're a kid, and you need someone to take care of you." He said, his tone firm but careful voice, and continued, "I want to help you, okay? If you want, you can stay with me and my family. Please say yes, Miles?" His voice wavered oh-so-slightly.

Miles looked up at Sonic, his bangs covering his eyes. There was complete silence in the house. It was almost loud. The Fox's lip began quivering, his breathing starting to quicken. Sonic was a bit startled, not knowing how to handle this. Miles suddenly launched into a hug, starting to sob.

The older was shocked but carefully hugged the child. After a few minutes, the Fox had calmed down enough to stop crying. He was still sniffling, but he seemed to be more in awe of the Hedgehog's kindness. He didn't understand. One of his tails wrapped around, allowing him to hold it.

It seemed to be a source of comfort for him. His other tail drooped a bit. He almost tried ignoring it. He hated having two of them. They caused so much pain throughout the years. He was an outcast for so long. And now, someone was treating him like a living being.

Someone who deserved to be cared about.

Someone who needed love.

"You promise that I can stay?" Miles asked, near breathless. Sonic smiled, brushing the other's bangs out of the way. His face was cut up and grimy, and his gentle blue eyes were rubbed red.

"I promise, Miles." He assured. Miles' heart leaped, and something that shocked Sonic happened.

The Fox lifted from the ground, his tails acting as a helicopter. He spun around a few times, then hugged Sonic again. The latter laughed a bit in amazement and shock. "Whoa! You can do that?" He asked, hugged the kid back. "Y-yea, it just happens sometimes." Miles said. There was a lightheartedness swirling in the air, cutting through the tension.

Sonic looked out of the window, and an orangish-yellow glow poured into the house. Tom and Maddie must've been worried. It was most likely past two hours. "Alright, buddy, grab your things and we'll get going." He said, setting Miles down.

He nodded, quickly grabbing a backpack and packing the scattered machines and tools. He grabbed a pair of goggles and a worn picture from a side table. With that, he went back over to Sonic, who grabbed his hand and brought him outside (being very careful with the crumbly stairs).

The two began walking, and Sonic felt as if he was sharing what he'd felt earlier that day. The admiration of what was around him. Miles seemed relaxed. For once, he wasn't filled with dread of everything. Fear that someone would hurt him. The one leading him away from the terror would make sure of it.

He realized something.

"I-I don't think I got your name." He said. The Hedgehog smiled at him, "Sonic." He said. Miles awed a bit. That was his hero's name. Sonic.

The silence was all too tense, so the conversation continued. "Those tails of yours are pretty cool" Sonic said. Miles looked up at him in amazement. "You really think so?" He asked, not knowing his he should - or could - believe it.

"Of course! I mean, the idiots bothering you are just angry that they aren't special. But you've got something the world will be amazed by. You can't let people like them make you feel bad." Sonic assured him.

Miles took that into consideration. After a while of walking, the Fox's eyelids became heavy and he yawned. Sonic, without a word, picked up the younger. Miles laid his head on the older's shoulder and was soon fast asleep.