Life Flashes Before Your Eyes///Oneshot

"Tails, buddy, you got the egghead's plans?" Sonic asked through the Tornado's radio. Tails smiled proudly. "Of course!" He beamed, putting the USB he had snagged from Eggman's lab in a black, protective case. "Great job! Fly back to HQ and we'll see what's on that thing!"

"Got it! I'll be back in a few-" He was cut off by the Tornado jolting violently and the sound of an explosion. Tails screamed in surprise, but quickly composed himself. "We've been hit! Engine down! Tornado will be going down with it! I'm gonna fly out! Hopefully, she'll crash on land!" He called to the radio. The plane began its rapid descent and he grabbed onto his seat belt to get it off.

"I'm sending reinforcements! You're still not far from Robotnik's yet, are you?" Sonic called back, managing to control the fear in his voice.

"No, I'm-" Tails paused for a moment, feeling his heart nearly stop. He tugged at the seat belt, trying to un-click it from the belt buckle. Jammed.

"Sonic, the seat belt jammed. I can't get out." His voice was shockingly calm.

The Hedgehog was silent for a moment. Then, he screamed, "WHAT!?"

Tails winced a little. "M-my seatbelt jammed. I'm gonna crash with the Tornado. I'll try to hit land. The case will protect the USB. I didn't mean for it to end like this." His voice wavered at that last part.

"No, no, no. Do NOT talk like that! You're going to be alright! Please, just try again! Try anything!" Sonic yelled, his voice straining. Tails closed his eyes, feeling wind fly in his face rapidly. "Okay, okay, I need to get the oxygen mask, or I'll pass out. I'm gonna try my best." He called into the radio, grabbing towards a compartment in front of him. He opened it up and took out an oxygen mask. Black spots were already clouding his vision, and his head was becoming horribly light.

Tails' grip on the mask became weak as he tried putting it on. His hands were shaking and he started to pass out. "I'm sorry..." He whispered, then completely blacked out, the mask just barely touching his face.

~~~

"You can't die. You're not supposed to die yet." He whispers.

"Miles, it's too early. You're our little boy." She says.

"You've got so much."

"You have so much worth."

The two grab hold of the mask, and hold him close. "He's waiting for you, Miles." They say in unison. They push the mask to his mouth and a rush of oxygen fills his lungs, jolting him to consciousness.

~~~

"Buddy! Tails! MILES!"

Tails gasped in deep, heavy gulps of air. "I-I'm up! I'm awake!" He yelled, his heart beating louder in his ears. He looked around, as if expecting someone... some people to be there...

He didn't find anyone, but he saw that the Tornado was now plummeting to the ground. He would admit that he did scream, but he felt it was completely justified. He might've let out a few curses.

He realized that the panicking was only making his head spin, so he managed to suppress any more screams. As the wind tore off pieces of the Tornado, Tails tightened his grip on the seat. "You've got this, you've got this, you've got this." He tugged at his seatbelt again. Still jammed. He grabbed onto the nearest, loose piece of metal and started sawing the belt off.

Sonic was still freaking out on the other side, begging to know what was happening and if he was alright. The Fox was trying his best to assure him that he was going to be okay. Tails felt tears fly off his face with the wind as his hyperventilating started up. No, no, he can't have a panic attack now. It isn't the time.

'Gaia, am I trying to choose when I have anxiety now?' He thought, pausing for a moment. He shook his head and managed to snap the seat belt and grabbed the case. He stood up, watching the ground get closer and closer. Tails let a quiet whimper escape. He was scared. He'd done his best this entire time to not let his fear control him, but everything about this was so terrifying.

He wanted to go home.

Tails shook his head. "You're going home." He whispered, though he couldn't really hear with the wind howling in his ears.

Within seconds, his namesakes started spinning and he was lifted from the Tornado. He watched it plummet to the ground and heard the explosion rattling his body. Tears ran down his face as he stared for a moment. He felt bad for the plane. The Tornado deserved better than this unceremonious wreck. Tails rubbed his eyes, looking at the case. "No, no. No crying. They're probably scared." He said, his voice struggling to not waver. He flew off, making his way back to the Freedom Fighter's HQ

~~~

"This never happens! This can't happen!" The Hedgehog yelled, pacing around fearfully. Sonic was shaking uncontrollably, and his breathing was inching closer to hyperventilating. A haunting static filled the room, but no voice from the Tornado's radio came through.

Amy Rose ran into the room, almost expecting a fight. "Sonic? What's going on? Are you-" Seeing his panicked expression, she could tell that something very bad had happened.

"Tails says that the Tornado was hit, a-and he said he couldn't get out! I don't know what happened and the radio cut out!" Sonic explained, his dark green eyes wide with terror. Amy rushed to him, holding him close. It was her own way of trying to assure him everything was alright.

That was when Sally Acorn burst through the door, holding another hybrid up. Tails was standing next to (more like leaning onto for dear life) Sally, his breathing ragged and his balance practically nonexistent. Sally laughed nervously, though her face was the opposite of lighthearted. "We have a situation."

~~~

While Sonic and Amy were panicking inside the HQ, Tails finally made it to the entrance. It took much longer than he expected, and the temperature had started plunging, to the point snow was falling lightly.

He found the entrance and attempted to land, but he kind of just crashed onto the ground from exhaustion. Despite all that effort, he still managed to plunge into the ground. He groaned from pure annoyance and pain. He stumbled his way up and knocked on the door.

To his relief, Sally Acorn opened the door. She was holding an apple and chewing some of it, but suddenly stopped at the sight of the Fox. Tails laughed weakly and smiled. "Hello..." He greeted, then promptly collapsed forward. Sally dropped the apple and managed to catch him.

After a few moments, she managed to swing one of his arms over her shoulder and helped him walk over to the radio room, where Sonic and Amy were.

She opened the door quickly, accidentally slamming it open. The two Hedgehogs snapped their attention to her. She was terrified, but managed to let out a fake laugh. "We have a situation."

Without missing a beat, Sonic rushed over, scooping up Tails. The Fox was trying to calm his breathing, but it was clear he was panicked. He was trying his best to stay awake, but flying had always exhausted him after even ten minutes. He'd been flying for two or three hours.

Sonic held him close, noticing the panic and attempting to calm him down. "It's going to be alright, you're going to be okay, I promise." He whispered, fighting the urge to cry. Tails nodded wordlessly and buried his face in the Hedgehog's shirt. "Tired..." He mumbled.

"It's okay... It's alright, you can sleep..." Sonic whispered, nodding. Tails sighed and quickly fell asleep. The case in his hand slipped out of his grip and clattered to the ground.

~~~

Flickies chirped outside, giving the world a calm feeling. Sonic tried his best to listen and relax, but he was scared. The Fox snuggled next to him was still fast asleep, not stirring once during the four hours he'd been sleeping.

"Everything's gonna be okay. We're going to be okay." He kept whispering, wanting to believe it.

That was when he felt something. The shifting of the Fox next to him. Sonic immediately looked down, smiling. "Buddy?" Tails looked up at him, still seeming weary. "Brother...?" He whispered, managing a smile.

Sonic hugged him tightly, smiling even more with the relief of Tails being alright. "Yea... Right here..."